Recruiting question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So my DD went to a camp the other day (d2 school). She does very well. Sends a TY note to the coach and the response is they were very impressed with her skills and to keep them posted on her schedule Is this normal? If they are so impressed wouldn't they do something more? Be honest ....I can't take it. (Maybe lol)

What year in school is she?

I would take that as a sign that the coach is genuinely interested in your DD. Most players who attend camp do not get his kind of feedback, IMO. Not saying it's rare and that an offer is imminent, but most are not told expressly that they were 'very impressed' and to keep in close touch.

When you say 'wouldn't they do something more?' what do you mean?

They're probably not going to offer a spot on the team unless a player is extremely impressive, or until they've watched her play more games, or until they are convinced the player is very interested in them.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
What year in school is she?

I would take that as a sign that the coach is genuinely interested in your DD. Most players who attend camp do not get his kind of feedback, IMO.

When you say 'wouldn't they do something more?' what do you mean?

They're probably not going to offer a spot on the team unless a player is extremely impressive, or until they've watched her play more games, or until they are convinced the player is very interested in them.

Thank you! My dd is a 2017. It was her first time at this school so I guess that makes sense. I guess I listen too much to people who say if they like you they will try to verbal you right there and then. Guess we will keep riding this rollercoaster !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 28, 2015
"Coach, can you tell me what your interest level is in me as a player, and if you see me being a part of your program?"

So my daughter goes back to school camp this week (they asked her to come at the last one) and sends pretty much this quote No response from the coach so far. It's only been 2 days but still frustrating. They seemed so "smitten" with her the first camp and we go back and it felt so different I feel they should at least respond - good or bad. Constructive criticism can go a long way. My daughter is crushed

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So my daughter goes back to school camp this week (they asked her to come at the last one) and sends pretty much this quote No response from the coach so far. It's only been 2 days but still frustrating. They seemed so "smitten" with her the first camp and we go back and it felt so different I feel they should at least respond - good or bad. Constructive criticism can go a long way. My daughter is crushed

Try not to get too high or too low during the process. Keep your options open with a "poker face" and a positive attitude. I know every player wishes every school they visited would offer them a full ride scholarship, but that is not reality. Most schools take 4-6 players per class, so they have to be very careful to make sure the class meets their needs on the field, in the classroom, and within budget. College teams also lose current plays for various reasons so their needs can change in an instant.

Oct 17, 2014
I would give it a little more time, but no answer is usually an answer, unfortunately.

Here's the thing, yes, camps are money makers. But camps are used to identify younger talent. And if run properly, camps should still be an instructional experience for the attendees, regardless of their skill level or aspirations in the sport. So kids should definitely attend camps of schools they are interested in to get noticed or to work with the coaches. But don't lose sight of the instructional component. You are there to learn. Hopefully the coaching staff is teaching. It's ultimately about making the sport better, at least for the coaches who truly care about the sport.

With that said, if you're a 2017 grad, you may be attending a camp where the staff has completed their recruiting for 2017. And they will never admit that. They will always say they are still looking. And the thing is, they may be done recruiting for that class, but it's always good to keep tabs on kids in case something unexpected happens down the road with a commitment or a current player.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

I agree w/ you, that they should at least respond. I realize I'm not a college coach, and I know they get literally hundreds of emails per week, even daily at some places, and can't answer them all. Maybe they haven't even gone through all their emails yet. But if you personally ask a kid to come to your camp (not talking mass emails, but a specific request to come), I think you should follow up when asked. It takes some courage for young kids to come up and talk with coaches after camps, or to call them, and sometimes coaches don't have the same courage to talk to kids.

I was talking w/ a father last weekend whose daughter recently verballed to an ACC school. She's a pitcher. Her dream school was in the SEC. The SEC school was contacting her almost daily for weeks and suddenly stopped communicating. They suddenly wouldn't answer texts. The father was somewhat forgiving, saying, 'Great coach, but no people skills.' Fact that she found another top school made things all right, but when I hear these stories, I'm amazed.

That said, this coach might eventually respond. As Maxx said, give it a little more time. Coaches are inundated w/ emails.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I haven't read the whole thread but do want to comment about a young lady I know. I know a young lady, late to this process, who has fallen through the cracks. IMO, she can play and play at a pretty decent level. Her parents didn't know the process and apparently she was now on one of those teams that get in front of college coaches. It is important for parents to understand the process early in the game before their dd's graduation year is filled at potential schools.

Sep 28, 2015
I haven't read the whole thread but do want to comment about a young lady I know. I know a young lady, late to this process, who has fallen through the cracks. IMO, she can play and play at a pretty decent level. Her parents didn't know the process and apparently she was now on one of those teams that get in front of college coaches. It is important for parents to understand the process early in the game before their dd's graduation year is filled at potential schools.

We definitely started the process late too. But in reality I don't know if she was ready sooner. But one thing is for sure my DD works harder than most kids - we are in the North East. A lot of kids take a break from now till January- she never stops. Hitting lessons, team prax, team conditioning twice a week plus catching sessions and hitting the gym to lift. She has the right mindset and keeps her head down on the books. I couldn't be more proud. She's not locked into what division she wants to play at just finding the right fit. In hindsight we should have started building relationships sooner but that's water under the bridge now.

Sep 28, 2015
Try not to get too high or too low during the process. Keep your options open with a "poker face" and a positive attitude. I know every player wishes every school they visited would offer them a full ride scholarship, but that is not reality. Most schools take 4-6 players per class, so they have to be very careful to make sure the class meets their needs on the field, in the classroom, and within budget. College teams also lose current plays for various reasons so their needs can change in an instant.

Thank you. Poker face - I like that. She definitely let her feeling known on this school. We need to be a little less cool I guess lol. We are realistic about money. I know she will not get a full ride. I just tell her for a private school she would have to get enough money to get it down to a state school price between academics and athletic lol. I guess I will have her email them videos once in a while but definitely backing off a bit. Sad really - it would have been a good fit

Sep 28, 2015
I would give it a little more time, but no answer is usually an answer, unfortunately.

Here's the thing, yes, camps are money makers. But camps are used to identify younger talent. And if run properly, camps should still be an instructional experience for the attendees, regardless of their skill level or aspirations in the sport. So kids should definitely attend camps of schools they are interested in to get noticed or to work with the coaches. But don't lose sight of the instructional component. You are there to learn. Hopefully the coaching staff is teaching. It's ultimately about making the sport better, at least for the coaches who truly care about the sport.

With that said, if you're a 2017 grad, you may be attending a camp where the staff has completed their recruiting for 2017. And they will never admit that. They will always say they are still looking. And the thing is, they may be done recruiting for that class, but it's always good to keep tabs on kids in case something unexpected happens down the road with a commitment or a current player.

Thank you. I don't think they are done with 2017. It's a new coach. When she spoke to my DD back on sept she said she was still trying to finish the 2016s. Some of the girls my daughter spoke to this weekend were 2016s and some were verballed some were still figuring it out It's the HC first HC job. It could be inexperience on her part too as far as recruiting but she was a AC at a good school so maybe I'm just trying to make excuses We will definitely take it as a learning experience and move on. She enjoyed the camp. I want to expand the horizon of schools from the four she narrowed in on but she's flat right now. Really doesn't want to talk about it. Maybe after this weekend she will be ready to talk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32