Rec. Manager

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our fall ball Manager is gone, she moved to a travel team with her DD.

We thought we knew who our new Manager was going to be but some family Issues happened so he might or might not be the Manager.

Our League’s winter training starts this Friday but we refuse to sign up before we know who our DD’s Manager will be come spring. Regardless of when we signup, or take advantage of the winter training, it is the same cost to us.

I know it is rec. league but is it unreasonable to know who your Manager going to be before you sign up? Since it is rec. league do you just signup and take what you get?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Gosh, in little league, you sign up and they tell you what team you are on. I thought all rec leagues were like that.

Oct 18, 2009
Rec leagues are made up of volunteer coaches. I don't know how it works in your area, but in our area you get who you get. Most families who sign up for only rec aren't that serious about softball and are simply thankful for anyone who will take the time to try and coach their girls.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
IN LL (like Rec) we actually have a tryout and draft "equal" teams. This year we will have 5 teams for the 9-12 bracket. Pitchers are assigned ...pitching director rates the pitchers (hopefully we have 10 and assigns two to each team). If there are more than 10 pitchers that will be dealt with at the draft and typically kids will start learning in the spring so they are given mound time.

Coaches are selected through a board ... candidates have to submit "bio", get up in front of the board ... if more than 5 candidates this year...board votes on best 5.

For the most part the teams are pretty even (assuming no injury, and kids can be better or worse performers on the field)
Although there is a Manager vote doesn't mean politics don't come into play ... they do ... and Daddy Ball is definitely present in this league ...

It isn't perfect ... but I can't say I wish my kids never participated ... it gave them a start, neither would have ever pitched if it weren't for our pitching clinics ... but both outgrew before they were 12.
(although it makes a huge difference if parents work at home with the kids as we did)

As far as waiting to see what coach ... only way to guarantee the coach your kid gets is to coach yourself.
Or you can have some faith and be willing to help whoever steps ups.

Looking back ... my older DD definitely got the shaft when she was 11 from a Daddy Ball LL coach ... that was the catalyst for her to go to travel and work harder. It took several years of work, but when she threw her first pitches for her HS indoor team ... eyes opened.
In contrast ... same Daddy Ball coach coaches my 12 year old All Star team and she is #1 player on that team. But participating with a 14U travel team has pushed her up above the typical 12 in our area. (certainly isn't the coaching).

Good luck with it all ... softball can be frustrating .. but worth the hurdles.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
In our rec league we also have a draft and no one knows who their manager will be until after the draft. Players cannot switch teams and cannot choose their managers.
You get what you get.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Rec leagues are made up of volunteer coaches. I don't know how it works in your area, but in our area you get who you get. Most families who sign up for only rec aren't that serious about softball and are simply thankful for anyone who will take the time to try and coach their girls.

Perhaps you are correct but in today's economy I would think the idea of spending potentially thousands of dollars with no guarantee of even a sniff of playing time would be more of a factor in deciding to stay in rec ball vs. travel ball.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Maybe TT is the way to go, that way we can have some control. She is good enough, we just have not wanted to make the change. In theory our league assigns girls to Teams, in practice the parents have a lot of control who their DD plays for/ with.

If there was no one available to manage my DD’s Team, I would do it in a second but we always seem to have more people who want to manage then Managing positions available. We have just been lucky I guess. I know of at least 3 people trying to get, what would be, my DD Team’s Manager spot, there might be some others that I am unaware of.

At least 1 of these candidates, neither me nor my wife, wants our DD on his Team. He is a good coach for other Girls, just not ours. I have verbally told him that my DD would not play on his Team if he managed but he does not deserve me to escalate that opinion to the commissioner.

Jul 26, 2010
My opinion is that if you're worried about what you are going to get, then just step up and do it yourself. Better the evil you know then the evil you don't know ;)

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish