Rec Ball Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
I currently coach 14u rec. for local youth org. We really need pitching help here. I've been around here (forum) over a year now and have a good grasp on pitching and hitting. Thank you all. Got Hillhouse video and understand IR. Most girls here can't afford PCs and not many good ones around. I don't mind helping out and think I could really help this org. if given the chance. Here is the dilemma part, my daughter play 12u so I see 12u team also, one good pitcher, eh, and other needs help. I also follow 10u team as AC has second daughter on that team. They need pitching help, good potential, bad form. That is were my dilemma is. I see pitching potential, then I watch them tell the girls to bring pitching hand up to pitching shoulder and snap through, a-la 'hello elbow' but elbow stays pointed towards ground. I want to step in and say, that is SOO wrong, please let me help. I will see some of these girls later and I'll have to fix everything you did. My wife tells me to let it go, "not your team." Some of the other lower coaches, think I'm arrogant, maybe lol, but I know what they are doing is wrong.

So do i let it go, "not my team" or what? Plus how do I get the other coaches to understand they are teaching wrong mechanics and I'm not trying to be arrogant. I want to help this org.

Hitting is another topic for a different day, Pitching is more crucial.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I will not go near Pitchers on our own Team anymore, never seems to go well. I will help individual players if asked by them or their parent, otherwise I mind my own business.

You would properly get a better response if you tried to setup regular pitching clinics/ practice organized by the club. Ideally bring in outside help, if not maybe you can slowly persuade some of the parents/ coaches to your way of thinking. At least you know players who are trying.

DD plays 12U Rec., pipeline of 10YOA pitchers that will be moving up looks grim in our club also. Some of the 9 YOAs look OK but I assume they will move on or stay at 10U next year. What are you going to do.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
If there is no pitching coach involved in the organization, the other coaches are probably just doing the best they can with their limited knowledge. If you took on the role of community pitching coach, and ran clinics, the other coaches would probably be more receptive to what you have to say than if you critique their instruction individually.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I will not go near Pitchers on our own Team anymore, never seems to go well. I will help individual players if asked by them or their parent, otherwise I mind my own business. Listen to what Quincy says.My DD is a pitcher (13y)I tried this with my org.when my DD was 8.I tried to tell them need to teach the correct way from day one.Didn't go over well for me.I just coached my DD.She still is pitching org.has badddd pitching.Guess who they ask to help now?I know you mean well,but parents and coaches also think they know whats best.Just coach your team and your DD.When and as she gets better they will notice and will come to you.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
CoachScott,
That's the problem with this web site.We learn so much we want to share.I'm that way with hitting.Want to talk 24/7 about hitting.No parent wants to hear me talk about hitting until their DD isn't hitting and mine DD is.Then the chairs of the parents are all around me.They will come just wait.

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks Carly and rdbass.

@carly - funny you mention community pitching coach. I though about this several times, just never pulled trigger. Will make that leap after season. I teach and fix the 14u girls currently and have a 10U player coming now for pitching help. Hopefully this stirs the pot a little.

@rdbass - daughter has no ambition to pitch but loves hitting. Now have some girls looking for hitting advice as my very petite DD hits quite well but still needs work.

Jan 18, 2011
Starsnuffer, kind of hard to recuit on rec ball. You pull from local community. I do have one girl, I am try to switch teams as she lives on the border of our community. So we need to train our own. We have some good potential girls would like to have them learnig early proper pitching.

Not sure I follow
You can't coach pitchers on their mechanics.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
@carly - funny you mention community pitching coach. I though about this several times, just never pulled trigger. Will make that leap after season. I teach and fix the 14u girls currently and have a 10U player coming now for pitching help. Hopefully this stirs the pot a little.
If helping the whole community is really what you're interested in, that's the way to go. Every pitching coach has to start somewhere! My dad started teaching pitching 14 years ago with 1 clinic for my teammates, my sister, and me. The season after that the local rec league asked him to add a class for beginners. Now between the two of us we're completely booked. If you go that route, you won't be stepping on any toes because obviously you can't force a kid to join your clinic. But if the option is there, you may find that a surprising number of people will take you up on it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"They" still are going to think that you are the one that is wrong, but you might enlist a couple of families that will finally listen.

I was watching a 12U TB team the other night, after I got done with one of my lessons. The pitcher was stepping back off of the rubber on every delivery. I knew the coach, a little, so I said "Are you playing ASA?" He said that they are planning on it. So, I said "Your pitcher is illegal on every pitch." With that, her dad comes out of the dugout "No, she isn't. I asked so and so, and he said it is alright."

I just walked away. But, I wonder how that worked out for them? Ha.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez