8u rec practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2024
Hi everyone , I coach 8u softball and with rec season about to start here locally was wanting to see what everyone's 1st practice would consist of. What would they work on what wouldn't they work on just the whole 9 yards . Any tips would help and be greatly appreciated.
Good luck this season

Jun 11, 2013
A lot depends on how much any of them have played. You might have kids that don't even know which side of the plate to stand on or which way to run if they hit the ball. Getting them to learn how to do the basics is the key on defense. Getting set correctly how to properly throw and field a ground will be a lot for most of them. Also need to teach a couple of basic rules such as not over running bases (other than 1st) .

Jun 18, 2023
Hi everyone , I coach 8u softball and with rec season about to start here locally was wanting to see what everyone's 1st practice would consist of. What would they work on what wouldn't they work on just the whole 9 yards . Any tips would help and be greatly appreciated.
Good luck this season

Proper form of throwing/catching.
fielding grounders, throw to first.
hitting. probably off a tee for first day.

basics of everything, just general structure.

finish with running the bases, fake a swing, overrun first, one at a time (have a coach or cone out there, touch the bag but don't stop running until you get to coach), then send them around. Make sure they touch home, and emphasize that's the whole point, to get to home and touch it to score.

Jan 22, 2011
It's a little overkill for your question about first practice, but it's a post I did a few years ago about how to have a strong 8u program. I should probably update it at some point.

Jun 18, 2023
And games. Play fun games. I need to google some more of them (our rec season doesn't start for a while). Races, everyone throws from a line at the same time and see who gets it the farthest. Counting non-drops while playing catch, that sorta thing.

Jan 22, 2011
And games. Play fun games. I need to google some more of them (our rec season doesn't start for a while). Races, everyone throws from a line at the same time and see who gets it the farthest. Counting non-drops while playing catch, that sorta thing.

The old put a stuffed animal on a bucket and have them try to knock it off the bucket with their throws.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
On offense, have a coach working with the batter and a parent on 1st and 3rd to keep them moving in the right direction. Hitting and base running.
On defense, divide them up into small groups - 1st base side, 3rd base side and outfield. Coach or parent with each group and rotate them every inning. Do not let them all head for a scrum! :) Fielding and throwing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Teach them to protect themselves. Whether it is ducking or moving out of way.

Some kids this age do not have filters and can hurt other less experienced players.

You will probably will have as many parents as players at practice use them. No SB knowledge required.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
The old put a stuffed animal on a bucket and have them try to knock it off the bucket with their throws.

oh we always just try to hit the bucket, I like this better, and you can pick a smaller animal as they get better..

We'd split off into "hit the bucket" and "didn't hit the bucket" and then the bigger group would have to chase and tag the smaller group.

Aug 26, 2021
You asked about the First practice, so here’s how mine go.

Play a game to get to know everybody’s name. First girl says her name, then her favorite food/show/something about her. Next girl does the same, but has to say the first girls name before introducing herself. Goes around the circle with coaches going last and having to say the whole team’s names.

Next I’ll teach them our dynamic warm up. With it being rec. most the team will have no clue how to do the warmup. Every warmup must be taught…it takes about 25 min. to teach a warmup that will take 5-10 minutes the rest of the season.

Water Break. Talk about throwing safety. Always wear fielders mask, don’t throw if your partner isn't looking with glove ready to catch, etc. Let them know about importance of throwing and catching…if you can’t throw or catch then you can’t play the game.

The rest of the practice is learning overhand throwing and catching. At 8u rec. this is the first time half or more of the team will throw a softball. I strongly encourage them to wear their gloves with two fingers in the pinky. I model my throwing practice like a HLT clinic.

By the time we’re done introducing overhand throwing movement patterns and played catch with a partner practice is almost over. Play duck-duck-goose. Say goodbye and see you at the next practice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles