Rebls rack and shoulder spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What do you teach them:
Do you know what the hand do during the swing? They hold on to the damn bat.LOL . TURN!!!!! Don't frail at the ball with your hands and arms. TURN!!!! Leave your arms and hand where they will follow.. They extend when needed(outside pitch) and stay home(elbows remain bent) when needed(inside pitch). Power comes from slight move forward with mass which stops when front foot plants then all rotation breaks loose.

I love the chair drill. I use especially on girls that try to create power by standing up and come out of their posture. In golf it can be referred to as humping the goat!lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhtML2Ww8Wo

jump to the 1:12

Sep 7, 2017
You don't rotate your hips then your hands. They work in opposite directions. We are not on the same page here. Not close

Nov 18, 2015
Is it just me, or is everyone else hesitant about clicking ANY link that would follow a phrase like "humping the goat"? :D

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do you know what the hand do during the swing? They hold on to the damn bat LOL . TURN!!!!!
I hope you are joking. The hands aren't along for the ride, which is what you seem to be saying.

Power comes from slight move forward with mass which stops when front foot plants then all rotation breaks loose.
You might want to rethink this also^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can agree with that

Do you think the hips are reacting or rotating?

It's more a twisting core like action that could be thought of as three simultaneous actions. One of those actions can be thought of as hip rotation ... but that is just one of three basic actions taking place ... hence when I hear folks refer to it as 'hips', while they demonstrate 'core', I personally forgive them.

It is not the hips/core that is reacting to usage of the hands ... it's more the other way around.

Think of it this way ... Ted Williams (below) states "hips ahead of hands". If the 'hips/core/first-engine' are leading the hands, then it isn't the hips/core/first-engine that is responding to the hands, it is the hands/forearms/second-engine that is responding to the hips/core/first-engine.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You don't rotate your hips then your hands. They work in opposite directions. We are not on the same page here. Not close

Think about that for a moment.

For a right handed batter, who has a 'hips rotate' mentality, the hips are rotated counter-clockwise.

For the same right handed batter, that feels the hands turning/arcing/orbiting/torquing the handle as the rear arm heads towards an upright-vee, that rotation can be thought to also be counter-clockwise.

Both 'engines' ... and yes, they are independent 'engines', are turning in the same direction ... that feel of 'dynamic stretch' that kicks in, is the second-engine drawing from the first-engine ... and that dynamic stretch is gold.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Do you know what the hand do during the swing? They hold on to the damn bat LOL . TURN!!!!!
I hope you are joking. The hands aren't along for the ride, which is what you seem to be saying.

Slightly joking, yes. But to think that throwing the hands at the ball is going to lead to torso/hip/shoulder rotation(power) in young girls is a pipe dream.

Power comes from slight move forward with mass which stops when front foot plants then all rotation breaks loose.
You might want to rethink this also

It is not a perfect explanation but in it most simplest form, I will stick to it. Of course there is a load(coil) before the "slight move forward." In the coil or load i find most effective, the hands don't move much but instead hips and shoulders gently coil around stationary back knee causing tension in abs and back hamstring. The hands move because torso coils not independently. Batter doesn't push them away or even "walk away from them". THe feeling for the batter is the hands hold the damn bat. I get the forearm rotates, but I think that is much more instinctual than thinking the hands will lead to the torso rotating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi