Rebls rack and shoulder spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2017
You said that using the core is a "no teach", and that it's hard to not naturally use the core. I haven't found that to be true. Some put it together on their own, many - most, probably - do not. For those that don't, I usually start with the simple request of asking them to power the swing with the rotation of their body (get those hips turning!), rather than swinging with their arms. How they interpret and apply that instruction will dictate how things proceed from there. A lot has to do with the age and experience of the player.

This is exactly what I don't do!

Why do I want them to spin?

I do agree with most of what you say in regards to the differences via age and talent etc.

So you get a kid to find the core by teaching them to turn their hips. Do you know that a lot of instructors are teaching to not turn your hips? To resist that rotation? Ive been down the rotation and momentum trail. Its not what I consider the correct way anymore! I do not want to purposely turn the hips!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I do agree with most of what you say in regards to the differences via age and talent etc.

So you get a kid to find the core by teaching them to turn their hips. Do you know that a lot of instructors are teaching to not turn your hips? To resist that rotation? Ive been down the rotation and momentum trail. Its not what I consider the correct way anymore! I do not want to purposely turn the hips!

This is what I do with all my students to isolate the use of the core.

oZLHBLw.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Frequently when I see an instructor demo what they mean by 'hips', they actually use their 'core'.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

When I am working with a young/new player who has their body on lock-down, and powers the swing with their arms, I will ask them to get their hips turning as a starting point to getting their body involved with powering the swing. With an arm-swinger, getting away from the arms being the primary power is an early goal in the process, and unlocking their hips is an important part of that. (IMO)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Reminds me a bit of a Ted Williams demo he made when describing hip action while sitting.

It's basically stop swings using the obliques while pulsing the core. This student for years would just use her arms while squishing the bug. Putting the focus here on the chair removes bad habits with the legs.. The students typically do it in front of a mirror.

Nov 18, 2015
This is what I do with all my students to isolate the use of the core.

oZLHBLw.gif

Did you address any kind of lead arm usage prior to that drill? I’d like to try that with a few of my players, but their hand usage / bat path is so poor, I’m not sure if there would be a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Did you address any kind of lead arm usage prior to that drill? I’d like to try that with a few of my players, but their hand usage / bat path is so poor, I’m not sure if there would be a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can.. Not all students come into the drill with the correct swing path.. Takes some time though. The initial pump of the barrel across the plate helps setup the wrists movements (rd/ud) without supination of the rear forearm taking over. It needs to be a combination.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi