Really turned my stomach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
One personal dealings with wrongfully accused.*

One of my best workers, Mike who is a single father of 3 kids who is a great guy and man'd up to be the parent for his children, *caught his 14 year old daughter sneaking out. First time grounded her, second time he took her cell phone away. Well one Friday night he "had that feeling" and slept outside in his truck. About midnight a car pulls up and his daughter runs across the yard to leave. He catches her and takes her back inside and spanks her. ( not beats her just an old fashion spanking )*

The mother found out about the spanking ( divorced and she's an alcoholic ) and called the police. Long story short he had to take off 3-4 days for court, $4000 in attorney fees and court charges for disciplining his 14 DD who was sneaking out to meet a 17 YO boy. ( and we all know what for )

So what was learned here? The DD now knows she has dad by the softballs. Dad knows he can't do much to punish her. And the two younger kids will know how to "work" the system when they get punished. *

Child abuse is wrong and should be dealt with, but we are sending the wrong message to parents who simply spank a child by filing charges and costing them $$$ to provide their innocence.*

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You guys are clueless about child abuse.

Here is a quote from the spanking story (the girl was 16YOA):

Things then escalated and, at one point, the teen grabbed a knife from the kitchen sink, although she testified she never brandished it or threatened her parents with it.

Her mother then pinched her arms and told her to go to her room and her dad "guided" her there by placing his hand on her neck and pulling her hair.

In the bedroom, the father held the teen's legs over her head "to present her buttocks for spanking" and told his wife to spank her with a belt. She was struck at least three times, including a final blow which the father told his wife to administer after she had paused.​

This was a little more than a spanking. The whole sequence of events sounds strange. As in, "These people are nuts. Maybe someone had better talk to the child to see if she is being sexually abused."

As to the public spanking case...it sounds a little excessive. Someone called child welfare, so someone thought the spanking was excessive. Once the child welfare agency is called, they have to investigate. It is the law. The worker suggested the mother go to some parenting classes, and she refused. Perhaps the worker was being overly aggressive, or perhaps the mother has a problem with anger management and really needs the classes. We can't tell from the article.

Goingdeep, as for your friend...it is a custody dispute.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I thought this was the softball discussions forum. What does this have to do with softball?

I do apologize for the off topic. But we deal with children ( or should ) more than just bats, balls, and gloves. We should all be setting examples for these young children's lives. When you drop your kids off at practice, I'm responsible. If they disrespect someone I'll step in and say that's wrong and stop. If someone tries to harm your kid, I'll step in and handle that situation real quick.

I would never lay a hand on someone else's DD, that's their job. But for years I've been the "second" father figure to many a player and will "tell" them how to conduct themselves as young ladies when they need it. And I'm sure many of you have as well.

The old saying.........It takes a village to raise a child.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There are numerous ways to discipline a child, I am not against spanking and was raised by parents who were not afraid to apply a spanking when needed. I spanked my son a total on 1 times and my dd never. I found other ways to get it done. All parents are restricted by similar constraints, but I would bet that not very many of our dds would be in the news for treating a bus monitor like that. Don't blame the system for the lack of parenting skills and boorish behavior shown by these children on that bus.

Jul 26, 2010
Let them grow up spoiled and entitled. There is no greater punishment then having to live your life with such a pathetic state of mind.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You guys are clueless about child abuse.

Here is a quote from the spanking story (the girl was 16YOA):

Things then escalated and, at one point, the teen grabbed a knife from the kitchen sink, although she testified she never brandished it or threatened her parents with it.

Her mother then pinched her arms and told her to go to her room and her dad "guided" her there by placing his hand on her neck and pulling her hair.

In the bedroom, the father held the teen's legs over her head "to present her buttocks for spanking" and told his wife to spank her with a belt. She was struck at least three times, including a final blow which the father told his wife to administer after she had paused.​

This was a little more than a spanking. The whole sequence of events sounds strange. As in, "These people are nuts. Maybe someone had better talk to the child to see if she is being sexually abused."

As to the public spanking case...it sounds a little excessive. Someone called child welfare, so someone thought the spanking was excessive. Once the child welfare agency is called, they have to investigate. It is the law. The worker suggested the mother go to some parenting classes, and she refused. Perhaps the worker was being overly aggressive, or perhaps the mother has a problem with anger management and really needs the classes. We can't tell from the article.

Goingdeep, as for your friend...it is a custody dispute.

Yes sir, the ex-wife got him where it hurts, his wallet.

I just don't think a lot of us realize how bad some kids are. Sluggers, you may have some experience as a former DA. I'm still employed by the "man", my best friend in the world is a paramedic, my other friends are county sheriffs. Kids now are extremely violent and aggressive. No respect for elders or adults.

When I'd get a spanking I'd just bend over and take it, I knew I was wrong and no need to make the situation worse. Kids now will fight their parents ( fist fights, knives like above, ) instead of taking the punishment.

One of my fireman friends has a DD who is totally out of control. And it's very sad to watch. She is scary violent and has been removed from DD's school and placed in an alternative school, where she punched a female teacher in the face the last day of school. ( said she just wanted to do it ) Poor guy has tried everything with her from therapy to meds and she is just a handful. His other daughter is just as normal as you and me. ( the troubled girl did play some TB with us in 2010, so I guess it's kinda related )

A lot of these things make me mad and break my heart at the same time. Sorry for the rant.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am approaching 50.

When I was in 8th grade a kid stabbed one of the teachers in my school. In grade school Fights occurred every single day in the playground or on the way home, In HS we had an average of 1 riot a year where the police would have to send in reinforcements to bolster the normal 6 police officers assigned to my HS, my sophomore year we had over 60 police officers at my school for a week, 2 different times. When I was a senior I was part of a group doing a pennies fundraiser and during homeroom we went class to class to ask for pocket change from all the students, I walked into a room completely in chaos and the older sub teacher begged me to get another teacher there to help her. I knew countless kids who upon their 18th birthday their stuff was packed up and on the porch because the parents were tired of putting up with junior.

"Kids" today are the same as kids before. There are good kids and there are bad kids, the main difference is in your youth you never heard of anything happening in a school more then 2 towns away. Now you can watch a video of a bunch of brats riding on a bus from many states over from you.

Apr 4, 2012
This is what happens when you take away the parent's ability to punish their children.

This is what happens when parents don't have the DESIRE to punish or discipline their children.

Like many abhorrent behaviors in society, these kids learned to treat people just like their parents do. I would venture a guess that everyone one of the parents of these horrible kids would say the kids were just having fun.

You need a license to drive, but being a parent (in the biological sense, not the real parenting one) requires nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan