Question for LL coaches re: runners leaving on release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Our local LL failed to recognize the rule changes adopted last year, one of which being that in the Majors, baserunners can leave on release.

My question- I'm questioning whether or not we should adopt this rule. I know in ASA "A" ball you can leave on release but this is not an "A" league. The rule has been that runners had to wait till the pitched ball reaches the plate, and we have a TON of stolen bases! my thought is that if we leave on release it will get ridiculous.

I would like to ask the other LL coaches out there how this rule change affected play last spring. Was it a good thing, bad thing or not a significant factor.

thanks.

Jan 19, 2011
Here's my thoughts on this...
While playing LL,rec., or whatever, I think they should learn and play by whatever rules they will be playing in middle school, high school, and college. There may be a few girls that end up being career "rec." players, but most, I would think, want to make their school teams.
And I'm amazed at the girls that get to the high school level and still do not know basic fundamentals. To many "rec." coaches worry about winning instead of "coaching". Teach the game!

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
In our rec league:
8U coach / machine pitch: can take a lead at pitch release but no stealing.
10u: can take a lead at release. Can steal 3rd but not 2nd or home. If you make an overthrow trying to get a runner stealing 3rd she can not advance to home.
12u: lead at release and steal any base.

I think this lets us teach the skills at an appropriate age while preventing the game from getting out of hand. The girls learn to take leads early. In 10U they can start stealing and the catcher can try to make a play without too much risk.

Remember rec league is also supposed to be fun and having girls steal around the bases is not very fun IMO.

In 10U

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When we were affiliated with LL, major division could not leave on release.
All other sanctions, the girls left on release. It was confusing to our travel players as
they had 2 sets of rules. Steal on release, this is the rule the girls will see
everywhere outside of LL

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Remember rec league is also supposed to be fun and having girls steal around the bases is not very fun IMO

I agree and that's why I'm asking (it's right up there with walking in run after run). This is more about the catcher than the baserunner. I've coached in a number of situations from U8 LL/ rec to U16 TB and have found that the transition to leaving on release is one of the easier things to learn.

If our baserunners are already stealing after waiting untill the ball reaches the plate, they don't need an earlier start. If we have 6 teams in the league, we have to have at least 6 catchers that can play at a higher level than everyone else. Then when they get to HS there will be about 6 players in each of the 4 classes competing for 1 position (2 if you count JV).

FWIW- after Majors they move to Senior League which is U16 and they can leave on release.

Steal on release, this is the rule the girls will see everywhere outside of LL
If we do stick with the steal-on-release, that's the way I would justify it . I'm just thinking quality of game-which is a relatively short season.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I, too, like the game to be uniform and the rules as close to the "real rules" as possible.

Get Dave Weaver's dvd on catching and teach your catchers what their role is. It is not impossible, even at age 8 to throw the ball 84 feet. But, they have to be shown and practice it. All they have to do is throw 2 runners out and the opposing coach will be hesitant to send the girls to 2nd. It also stops the batter/base runner from taking 2nd on a walk.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I guess it would be better to train some catchers than to whine about it.
I already have Dave's DVD, Older DD has had lessons with Dave and the other coach's (older)DD has been training with Dave for a few years now. we absolutely can train catchers, but we will be starting at the absolute beginning. Most likely working with someone who has never caught before.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
When it comes to rec leagues, steal on release should be practiced.
If one team overmatches another team, the coach should have enough
integrity to stop running or to have his girls walk off the base to show some mercy.
Some of our local rec leagues lack integrity in coaching so they have instituted
either 5-run rule per inning or bat around one time per inning. Both rules seem to be fair.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
When LL adopted the change last season the "leave on release" there was a local rule enacted on our LL district for a 30 day adjustment period before the rule was enacted for play so the coaches could work with their catchers and players on how to better to defend the steal. There were a few times where an opposing coach would ask that we leave after the ball crossed home as he/she had a young player just learning to catch . Both sides would inform the umpire we agreed suspend the leave on release rule for the game. Blue did not care as long as we both were on board. LL is about teaching girls how to play the game.

I was not really in favor of this rule as not every team had a strong catcher. On the flip side, at the LL level, most regaular season catchers are not throwing out runners stealing 2nd, whether the runner can leave on release or after the ball corosses the plate. Runners caught stealing typically occur during the regular season at 3rd base. During LL All-Star tournament play, the catchers are a more skilled and outs are sometimes made on an attempted steal of 2nd.

Bottom line, at least for our District was the change made very little difference.

Just my $0.02

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30