Stalling For the Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2020
I coach 10u rec. You would think it's not super competitive, but these coaches are intense. Everybody's ridiculously competitive. It's one of the better rec leagues around, but yet everyone is super competitive.

This last Saturday my team (ranked second to last out of 8) was playing the top undefeated team. Somehow we were winning 1-0 the whole game and by the 5th inning they scored 2. We were home and there was 8 minutes left with an hour 30 drop dead rule. Two outs bases loaded opposing team is up. The coach purposely gets the girl on third out by making her hesitate to move it along and get them a chance to get us out. If they don't get 3 outs in 6 minutes now, we win because it reverts.

I could have stalled. Actually that last inning I changed pitchers (not to stall, because I needed to) and I told her no warm up pitches because I really didn't want to stall. It just feels scummy? She had pitched earlier. She didn't need them.

Anyways. 6 minutes they get three outs we lose. 1 pitch away from winning. Afterwards blue takes me and AC aside and says we should have stalled. AC wanted to stall, he pointed out the opposing coach was playing that game by intentionally getting a girl out.

Talked to another coach afterwards that said they would have stalled. I'm kinda still glad I didn't stall, but like we have 2 wins out of 13 games. That would have been a nice win for the girls.

Did I do the right thing and keep it moving? What would you have done? Was the opposing coach purposely getting one of his girls out a good play (I mean it was in terms of winning) or is it along the same lines of stalling and should be frowned upon? Just curious where everyone stands on all this.

Jul 6, 2020

There may be people who think that controlling the clock is the wrong thing to do. But when there is a clock,
the clock is controlling the game anyway!

While there are a lot of things that we cannot control during the game.
like the strikezone...and player abilities,
There will be coaches who are going to control the clock. If you choose not to control the clock when you can. Either the game clock or the other team will control part of the outcome of your game.
You are correct, but it is unethical and not the right way to play the game. I've seen coaches switch out their catcher, make four pitching changes, etc. Play the game. What are you teaching the kids? I suppose the message is to use anything available to win, but that is not what we should be teaching them. Should you fake an injury in order to stall? Do the "tie your shoes" trick? I've seen that a lot in rec basketball - running time, so tying your shoes can easily run a minute off the clock. The clocks are there in order to make sure games don't get backed up. It is not part of the actual softball. You should absolutely use everything softball related to win. Taking advantage of a loophole isn't one of them.

May 16, 2016
You are correct, but it is unethical and not the right way to play the game. I've seen coaches switch out their catcher, make four pitching changes, etc. Play the game. What are you teaching the kids? I suppose the message is to use anything available to win, but that is not what we should be teaching them. Should you fake an injury in order to stall? Do the "tie your shoes" trick? I've seen that a lot in rec basketball - running time, so tying your shoes can easily run a minute off the clock. The clocks are there in order to make sure games don't get backed up. It is not part of the actual softball. You should absolutely use everything softball related to win. Taking advantage of a loophole isn't one of them.
Ok, managing the clock is not unethical.

Are there unethical ways to manage the clock, sure. Faking an injury is a good example of unethical behavior.

But a pitching change? No, as a coach, I should be allowed to change pitchers as much as I like, within the rules. Time out for a circle visit? No, I should be able to talk with my pitcher whenever I feel the need, within the rules.

I recall a rec game, where the other coach called time outs every inning, had long meetings that had to be broken up by umpire. Then, when I decide to take a visit to discuss strategy with my team, I am unethical because it happens to be in the final minutes of the game and we have a lead? Parents from other team were muttering about clock killing, when it was their coach that squandered 10 times as much game time, with needless time outs. Give me a break.

I have also worked under a head coach who was afraid to call time outs, or change pitchers in the final minutes of a game, because he didn't want to be perceived as killing the clock. Even in situations where our pitcher was gassed, and we really needed a pitching change.

Jul 6, 2020
Ok, managing the clock is not unethical.

Are there unethical ways to manage the clock, sure. Faking an injury is a good example of unethical behavior.

But a pitching change? No, as a coach, I should be allowed to change pitchers as much as I like, within the rules. Time out for a circle visit? No, I should be able to talk with my pitcher whenever I feel the need, within the rules.

I recall a rec game, where the other coach called time outs every inning, had long meetings that had to be broken up by umpire. Then, when I decide to take a visit to discuss strategy with my team, I am unethical because it happens to be in the final minutes of the game and we have a lead? Parents from other team were muttering about clock killing, when it was their coach that squandered 10 times as much game time, with needless time outs. Give me a break.

I have also worked under a head coach who was afraid to call time outs, or change pitchers in the final minutes of a game, because he didn't want to be perceived as killing the clock. Even in situations where our pitcher was gassed, and we really needed a pitching change.
Hi. I think I wasn't completely clear. Of course you should be able to talk to your pitcher if you need to settle her down or hold a mound visit if you want to set-up your infield. You are not unethical if you are discussing strategy. If you need to change your pitcher or any position player, you are 100% in your right to do so. You are unethical if you change your catcher three times in the last inning in order to run out the clock. Changing pitchers, having the pitcher throw a pitch and then changing pitchers again? No good. I am not sure if this is mostly a younger thing, but the easiest way around this is a "finish the inning" rule. "Drop dead and revert to last inning just causes trouble." You'll still have coaches working the clock so you don't get to the next inning, but I have much less of a problem with that then a coach stalling because they are losing and want to revert back to the previous inning. Take it to the extreme - you grab a 1-0 lead in the first. Can you stall for the remaining time? If not, when are you allowed to stop stalling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45