Question about throwing drills and elbow pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I was at our local HS softball camp today and they were teaching the flick drill to the girls. My 11 yo DD has been experiencing elbow pain and from what I have researched it is because of this type of throwing motion.

This is one of the articles I found on it and it makes sense to me.
Softball Throwing Mechanics: Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain…Wrist Flick Edition

I was just amazed to see a high level team, like this HS is, still teaching this drill.

My question is what are some other drills that I can do with my DD to help her get past this? She throws OK but I feel like she has more ability but has been taught bad habits (by me, before I found this forum).

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
The Water Bottle drill:

Throwing Patterns: The “L” Drill vs High Level Throwing

Absolutely freaking awesome drill. Sorry for the language, but it really is the best way to convey how strongly I believe in it. IT WORKS. I have seen it work on my 10U team, and my 6 year old has really good throwing mechanics.

For those ingrained with years of bad habits, it will be difficult at first, but the transformation with repeated repetitions will be amazing. The key, IMHO is the the final step of getting the water to the bottom of the bottle before coming over the top and feeling the resistance behind your rotated hips and shoulders. This really helps/forces the elbow up. It is only explained in detail in Austins eBook, which is worth every penny.

I don't know Austin and am not peddling for him. I have become very passionate about teaching correct throwing mechanics. I had to when my DD started having elbow and shoulder pain 2 years ago. She is a catcher and caught over 40 games this year, completely pain free, and she throws a lot and real hard.

Additional links that I consider required reading:

Baseball & Softball Throwing Mechanics: Stability Ball Throws
High Level Throwing: Lead Arm Weighted Throws

Here is another awesome article, not from Austin:

STOP your son from PUSHING the ball and throwing SIDEARM! | Baseball Rebellion

Coach YoYo

Oct 10, 2011
Water bottle drill

The Water Bottle drill:

Throwing Patterns: The “L” Drill vs High Level Throwing

Absolutely freaking awesome drill. Sorry for the language, but it really is the best way to convey how strongly I believe in it. IT WORKS. I have seen it work on my 10U team, and my 6 year old has really good throwing mechanics.

For those ingrained with years of bad habits, it will be difficult at first, but the transformation with repeated repetitions will be amazing. The key, IMHO is the the final step of getting the water to the bottom of the bottle before coming over the top and feeling the resistance behind your rotated hips and shoulders. This really helps/forces the elbow up. It is only explained in detail in Austins eBook, which is worth every penny.

I don't know Austin and am not peddling for him. I have become very passionate about teaching correct throwing mechanics. I had to when my DD started having elbow and shoulder pain 2 years ago. She is a catcher and caught over 40 games this year, completely pain free, and she throws a lot and real hard.

Additional links that I consider required reading:

Baseball & Softball Throwing Mechanics: Stability Ball Throws
High Level Throwing: Lead Arm Weighted Throws

Here is another awesome article, not from Austin:

STOP your son from PUSHING the ball and throwing SIDEARM! | Baseball Rebellion

Coach YoYo
A couple things I did that DD liked was...1st I put food coloring in the water just to have a better visual, and then I cut a tennis ball and put it over the end of the bottle so she could hold onto a ball while she did it (I used a little duct tape to hold it more secure). Not necessary at all but it made it feel better for her while she did it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd