Question about teaching method of arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
ok...so since I am a little confused...the arm should not be totally extended at 12 but have a slight bend at the elbow..right or wrong??

I would agree that a slightly bent elbow and not locked is optimal at 12:00. I disagree with Coachdan that the ball should be close to the head at this position. In general, you want the arm extended as far away from the body but not locked. From 3:00 (2B base) to 6:00 (release) the arm drops into "the slot" a little more bent to maximize arm whip to and through release.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Also agree with Jim and others that relaxed is the key. Loose muscles are fast muscles no matter what you're trying to do. Indoors I use a mat with a big ol' white stripe down the middle. When I'm working with beginners, I show them how keeping the ball on the white stripe throughout the circle will make it go straight, which is the initial goal. Easier said than done, of course, but they get the idea. The ball will go wherever you point it, so if you keep it on the white line it has to go straight.

My mantra with all level of pitchers is "Control is not a goal. It's a result." Do the right things at the right time and the ball will go where it should.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Originally Posted by DSC
for a new pitcher, getting the ball over the plate is more important than how fast it is moving.

Originally Posted by LAdad
Actually, for a new pitcher, good mechanics is more important than getting the ball over the plate.

That was the point I was trying to make, by keeping the mechanics in line, the pitch should follow suite. I never said control was more important than mechanics, just more important than speed.

By allowing the arm to be bent reinforces a poor mechanic to me. Maybe I just work with a different style than most?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
By having the arm locked you are going against everything that is taught in pitching. It's not a different style it is flat out wrong. You MUST have have a slight bend to the arm when pitching to get the maximum result.

Better yet, go have a look at the sticky thread and look at the examples of pitches put there. Not one of them has a completely straight arm.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was a working with a girl last night who wasn't quite getting the whip on the ball I thought she should, so I pulled out my Playsport and videoed her. What we saw was that even though her elbow was bent, as she drove forward she was extending her arm out behind her. The effect was that the ball was moving toward second base on the back half of the circle as her body was moving forward. I'm not sure she totally understood what I wanted, but I told her that the ball should be coming with her as she came forward instead of moving away. She must've gotten it at some level because I videoed her a few pitches later and she was doing what I'd suggested. And, of course, the pitch had improved too.

That's always the issue with pitching. There are lots of little subtleties that can have a big effect on success.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
By having the arm locked you are going against everything that is taught in pitching. It's not a different style it is flat out wrong. You MUST have have a slight bend to the arm when pitching to get the maximum result.

Better yet, go have a look at the sticky thread and look at the examples of pitches put there. Not one of them has a completely straight arm.

Lozza-Please go back and read my post, I specifically stated that the arm should not be locked.

My misunderstanding, I took the OP's comment of slightly bent to mean more than just relaxed and not locked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd