Question about teaching method of arm circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
I would like to state a disclaimer to start this thread. I realize that having long leavers is better and gets more speed. My question is does anyone teach younger girls 10-12 yrs old or any beginning pitcher to have a short fast circle vs a long(arm straight) circle. By this I mean elbow bent for the entire circle ball just above the head. I know this cuts off from the long leavers but I feel that it helps promote whip on the down swing to release. I feel that it would be eaiser to later teach the longer leavers after they have learned to whip.

Any thoughts?

Feb 6, 2009
Most of what I've read here promotes some bend in the arm. I have never read a straight arm(which leads to no whip).

Jul 21, 2008
images.jpg

Compared to this picture of jenny, I like a much tighter arm circle with beginning pitchers. The ball never gets but a little more that head high at the top of the circle. If the arm circle get to long they tend to lock the arm out and never get the arm unlocked to get the whip on the downswing of the pitch.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
As the Finch photo shows, not everyone uses the most optimal mechanics to throw hard and be successful. The IR method is highly effective, but if it were all that's needed to throw hard, one wouldn't need to make a full arm circle. In fact, I've seen some major leaguers simply raise their arms to 12:00 during their crow-hop, and then time the arm whip to their landing on the front foot. But some pitchers just don't click with a delivery built on the IR, so they need to use the full windmill to accelerate the arm and build speed -- I think Jenny's delivery is this way. The elbow still isn't locked but the arm is in full extension. For my students the operative word is RELAXED.
Jim

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
As a general rule I think that pitchers with long arms tend to have less IR, Jenny Finch and Sarah Pauly come to mind. Also, don't forget that Jenny has probably used the Finch Windmill a lot and this device does not promote IR. I also have to wonder if having long arms makes it more difficult to get the mechanical advantage that you need to make IR work efficiently. In golf if you try use an extra long driver you find that you can't whip it into the ball. The extra length still gives you more distance but overall your swing action is slower.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looks to me that having the arm bent much would cause a new pitcher to have difficulty with control. The position of the hand and arm would likely vary side to side so much that they cross in front or drift out on each pitch causing the pitches to be rather erratic. I just visualize how many young girls I've seen trying to figure out how to pitch that whip the ball almost out to the side.

I teach an extended arm, not locked, with a good snap and follow through. The idea is that the arm never leaves a vertical plane in line with the pitch. More advanced pitches may require something else later, but for a new pitcher, getting the ball over the plate is more important than how fast it is moving. The speed will come with proper arm mechanics, foot work, and hip rotation. At least that has been my limited experience. It earned my 12yo the opportunity to pitch relief for our 14U team, and no, I don't coach that team.

Mar 13, 2010
What LAdad said.

I always have them have a very slight bend to their arm before they start the arm circle. I'll quite happily spend 20 minutes with them standing facing third and doing an arm circle. It's very important to get that muscle memory right before moving on anywhere.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
images.jpg

Compared to this picture of jenny, I like a much tighter arm circle with beginning pitchers. The ball never gets but a little more that head high at the top of the circle. If the arm circle get to long they tend to lock the arm out and never get the arm unlocked to get the whip on the downswing of the pitch.

33ncmyp.gif

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
ok...so since I am a little confused...the arm should not be totally extended at 12 but have a slight bend at the elbow..right or wrong??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd