Question about scholarship offers....how long do players have to decide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When a college offers a player an athletic scholarship, how long do they typically have to accept or decline the offer? I know schools are under pressure to fill their class with the best players possible, and they will probably give an "open ended" offer to a real STUD, but for the average D1 player, how long do they typically have to decide?

My DD is starting to receive some invites to camps, and I always get a kick out of the statement everyone puts in their letters/emails - "Due to NCAA regulations we are not allowed to communicate with you until September 1st of your junior year"...that may work great for football, but for softball a lot of girls commit BEFORE Sept 1st of their junior year!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
For my brother, my nephew, myself in BB --- to my 3 players who were lucky enough to sign D1 in FP --- there was always a "deadline". Usually within a couple of months. The university will state "the offer of _____ is only good until _____". Lower levels seem to come with longer time terms.

Commitment on the college level is just as important as the travel level, youre still filling slots and the clock is ticking.

Oct 14, 2008
Mine was granted a 90 day term. To complete other visits and listen to other offers. Your mileage may vary as all colleges needs and coaches are different. Most coaches like to know who they are competing against once it gets to that level.

Tim

Dec 19, 2012
When a college offers a player an athletic scholarship, how long do they typically have to accept or decline the offer? I know schools are under pressure to fill their class with the best players possible, and they will probably give an "open ended" offer to a real STUD, but for the average D1 player, how long do they typically have to decide?

My DD is starting to receive some invites to camps, and I always get a kick out of the statement everyone puts in their letters/emails - "Due to NCAA regulations we are not allowed to communicate with you until September 1st of your junior year"...that may work great for football, but for softball a lot of girls commit BEFORE Sept 1st of their junior year!

The girls that do commit before Sept 1st of their junior year do so by getting offers at the college's camps. They can talk to you if you are on their campus on your dime. Another way to get an offer before Sept. 1 of your junior year is from an unofficial visit if they have seen you play and are interested.

Dec 20, 2012
The girls that do commit before Sept 1st of their junior year do so by getting offers at the college's camps. They can talk to you if you are on their campus on your dime. Another way to get an offer before Sept. 1 of your junior year is from an unofficial visit if they have seen you play and are interested.

You can get an offer at ANY time. On the phone, via email, in person. Being on campus has nothing to do with the chance to make an offer. It does put a little pressure on the recruit to make a decision. As far as a time line, that will vary with every school, coach, and their situation or needs. You may hear, "Well, we would like to have our 2015's wrapped up by this November" or "We are looking at 2 other girls and you are our first choice. We would like you to decide by such and such date". It may not be a set number of days.

JAD, if you she is getting some attention make sure she keeps in regular contact with the coaches. They want to know what is going on and it lets them know you are seriously interested. Once every 2-3 weeks is good unless they suggest more or less contact.

Aug 14, 2011
You ask that coach when they need a decision. My DD always did that. She never got a firm deadline, just variations of "we would love to have everything in place as soon as we can, but we want you to be comfortable with your decision". The offer she accepted was a top choice for her and she left it out there for two weeks. Other offers she had longer.
We were told during the process to be careful of coaches who try to pressure you too quickly to answer by certain deadlines. But we never had that issue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes