Sept 1st-The Wake Up Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I thought I would take this to a different level. Sept 1st is the first day D1 coaches can reach out to PSA's. This is an exciting time for the few stud players. There will be many happy families out there that receive a call, text or email from these coaches. On the other hand there will be MANY more kids that will be severely disappointed that Big State U didn't call them. This is the "wake up" NO Call for those families that thought their DD was a super duper D1 prospect that all these coaches were clamoring over. This is the time when their expectations need to be lowered and they start looking at other programs that are REAL fits for the family.

Their DD may have received a call and an invite for an on campus visit. What if they only receive a 30% athletic offer and they realize that they have to pay $20K a year because that only covers tuition, not housing and food? This is when it starts to get real. There is a domino effect where the Big Time schools will get who they want and the next level schools will have to wait to see if they get any scraps and so on down the line.

Will your DD be happy playing for a D1 program that goes 8-38 for the year? Hey, my kid is a D1 player but they are miserable. or will your DD be happy chasing foul balls for 2 years waiting for her chance to play? There is a place for all players to play. Do your homework and your due diligence before you commit anywhere. Families need to take control of the process and own it.

I wish all the best for all DFP ers going through this process. Just be cool like Fonzie and relax. It can be fun and miserable at the same time.

Good luck!!!

Jan 31, 2015
There are certainly many many factors to consider, but as I always have told DD, "Expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed, but you may end up being pleasantly surprised." ;-)

As in all things in life, it's all about expectation management.

I thought I would take this to a different level. Sept 1st is the first day D1 coaches can reach out to PSA's. This is an exciting time for the few stud players. There will be many happy families out there that receive a call, text or email from these coaches. On the other hand there will be MANY more kids that will be severely disappointed that Big State U didn't call them. This is the "wake up" NO Call for those families that thought their DD was a super duper D1 prospect that all these coaches were clamoring over. This is the time when their expectations need to be lowered and they start looking at other programs that are REAL fits for the family.

Their DD may have received a call and an invite for an on campus visit. What if they only receive a 30% athletic offer and they realize that they have to pay $20K a year because that only covers tuition, not housing and food? This is when it starts to get real. There is a domino effect where the Big Time schools will get who they want and the next level schools will have to wait to see if they get any scraps and so on down the line.

Will your DD be happy playing for a D1 program that goes 8-38 for the year? Hey, my kid is a D1 player but they are miserable. or will your DD be happy chasing foul balls for 2 years waiting for her chance to play? There is a place for all players to play. Do your homework and your due diligence before you commit anywhere. Families need to take control of the process and own it.

I wish all the best for all DFP ers going through this process. Just be cool like Fonzie and relax. It can be fun and miserable at the same time.

Good luck!!!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Bring a good ACT score with that glove and bat. That will do more to bring down the cost of college than anything else. My older DD, who wasn't a very good ball player, has a very selective D1 mostly paid for because of very good HS grades and test scores.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Also, as someone who chased foul balls for four years on a lousy D1 team (but made friends for life and learned A TON about coaching)...don’t despair. I wouldn’t trade those years for anything at my dream school which also academically set me up for life.

Nov 29, 2009
I wouldn’t trade those years for anything at my dream school which also academically set me up for life.

I tell that to the players and parents I work with all the time. A scholarship has the potential to be worth millions over you lifetime because of the education you received. Getting the education paid for is even sweeter.

May 27, 2013
It will just be refreshing to not be ghosted anymore - and if dd is, then we’ll know there’s no interest anymore.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I will also give you this....

I know of 6 D1 colleges that were looking for about 10 players for THIS season as last as August 1 and they had some decent money to give out. At least 4 of those spots were not filled and will need players from an open tryout.

A 2019 pitcher within our org committed and got 70% from a solid D1 in March. This is a school that everyone has been saying 'has no more money'. They found it when they found the player they wanted and needed.

There were at least 30 girls I know personally who changed the college they are attending over since Jan 1. Everything from P5 schools to D3 & NAIA schools. Some decisons were softball related - but the majority were academics - problems making the academic requirements for admission. Local JUCO's both gained AND lost multiple players last week.

One local college had an incoming class of 6. Only 4 of them showed up. One didn't tell coach she decided to go to a local Juco and one they still haven't heard from.

And so on...

There is a major market for uncommitted seniors in the summer after they graduate high school if they can fill immediate needs.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Still early in the process from my DD. Does she have the ability to go D1? We don't know. Her coach says yes.

But I just talked with 2 dads (one with a daughter who was a triple sport athlete and another that had a boy play high level basketball) and both told me don't rule on NAIA schools even if the kid has the ability to play D1. My neighbor and the one dad I talked to about basketball both played on the same team. Neighbor plays D1, othe NAIA. Huge difference in their experience but both seem to love it.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
Great OP!

In Indiana there are multiple NAIA schools that have good athletic programs. One NAIA school went to World Series last two years. There are also a couple DII schools that compete well. One of those schools won the World Series a couple years ago (and it is the least expensive school in the state.) I tell the players I work with the popular quote, "it's a 40 year plan not a 4 year plan." Get the best education you can and enjoy the experience that goes along with it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom