putting extra pitching time in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD actually pitches (i.e. circle work) about 4 times a week BUT I include game days in these calculations. If she practiced 3-4 times per week and is then expected to pitch in games all weekend her arm would fall off I believe.

She also does something for her pitching 6 out of 7 days. Weights, work outs, long toss, conditioning, etc. She has one day a week where she has nothing scheduled but even some of these days she decides to do something active.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
On their "days off" I tell my pitchers to watch a bunch of TV shows that include Kim or any of the Kardashians. Each time they do or say something dumb do 10 riseball spins. Most say it is way too strenuous. A few say they hardly spin the ball. I worry about the latter.

I know when a pitcher is all in when I toss them a ball and they immediately get a grip and cannot help but spin the ball. Those are the little things that make a difference when working on the big things. :)

May 15, 2016
3-4 days per week seems to work pretty well for DD and a lot of kids that I know and watch up t0 14u.

I assume you do not include game days in this. What about team practices when she does not pitch? I have been including pitching lesson days when our goal is 3-4. Do you do the same?

Jun 29, 2013
Bob, I do exactly as you stated, and you are correct, I don't include games. It took me a while to realize how much sharper, and stronger, she was if she through 3-4 times per week before a tournament. If lessons are on Wed., I give her the options of which days to throw throughout the rest of the week so long as she gets her work in. Now that she's starting to see for herself that there's a point to working on her game it's much easier to get her out. I do think it helps to have a day off per week, two after a big tournament, mostly it's a mental break to remember this is still just a game and she needs to enjoy girl scouts or whatever else she wants to do.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I know when a pitcher is all in when I toss them a ball and they immediately get a grip and cannot help but spin the ball. Those are the little things that make a difference when working on the big things. :)

Totally agree. We have a softball in the front seat of the car and when she is not the driver she just sits there spinning it.
Actually there are softballs all over my car, but there is a specific one that lives in one of the cup holders.

My DD is less sharp if she doesn't get time off. The day before a tournament she will basically just get her arm loose and spins tight but wont go full motion. Seems to work for her, but everyone is different.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is 11 and spins the ball every time she picks one up. She also walks down the hall at school practicing her windup. On a different note, we have a truck full of softballs, baseballs, and tennis balls, every time she opens the truck door balls fall out and she starts spinning them and forgets to close the door. This has been going on for about two months now. Help!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD throws it up to about her shoulders.

There is one MLB starter that if they show him on bench between starts is constantly spinning ball up. Just can not sit still I guess but is fun to watch for a few minutes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles