Push off foot injury/setback.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
DD has been having some issues with the arch of her right foot...deep in the middle of the foot and the edges. There was no specific incident that caused this. She says it has steadily gotten worse for about the last 4-6 weeks and has become more and more tender. Needless to say training has become fairly limited...bummer too as we are set to look at 3 schools this January and was hoping to throw for them while there. She is a freshman at a local JC. Anyway, has anyone heard of this kind of injury being common for pitchers. Is very tender to pressure but very painful when she pushes off. Hoping to have her in for an MRI soon. Side note...I feel so bad for as she has been working so hard. She changed her diet, began a new workout program and was really making the strides she wanted.

Thanks!

Xrays showed no fractures and have been on a Ibuprofen schedule and lots of icing.

Jan 25, 2011
take a cold can of soda, have her sit down and place the soda on its side and place her foot on it and roll the can back and forth with the arch of her foot. It sometimes will help to get rid of the pain.Also take a ball and have her do the samething, like giving her foot a massage, not to much pressure just enough to feel it but not to the point of causing pain.This what it sounds like on this link,http://www.aidmyplantar.com/?REF=G_Plantar

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does she drag the side of her foot? (picture) Could that be causing it? Will your insurance allow you to go directly to a podiatrist?

Jan 25, 2011
I added a link to my post, but don't take my guess as thats what it is. I had the same thing once, but her being a female athlete, there are other things that could be a cause. So make sure to go too, your family Dr. and good luck and I hope she gets better real soon

Oct 1, 2012
Does she drag the side of her foot? (picture) Could that be causing it? Will your insurance allow you to go directly to a podiatrist?

No...she is a toe dragger...not the tip but more around the joint. Thats where the hole in her cleat is anyway. We actually have an appointment to see a podiatrist in 2 weeks. Our tribal clinic provides for one to come up every two weeks so we are scheduled then. Are they normally not covered by insurance??

Oct 1, 2012
I added a link to my post, but don't take my guess as thats what it is. I had the same thing once, but her being a female athlete, there are other things that could be a cause. So make sure to go too, your family Dr. and good luck and I hope she gets better real soon

Great info! Thanks for the link and the well wish.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Has she ever had a knee or lower back injury? Any dark area of discolored area on the top of the foot just in front of the ankle on the outside edge. When it is hurting is the veins on the foot and ankle noticeably larger than the other foot?

My bet is that it is coming from the knee, hip or lower back.

Is she doing anything very different now then say 3 months ago?

A neurologist aand orthopedist might serve you better.

Circulation could be getting restricted by inflamtion at a joint. And the exact same thing you describe can also be caused by a few certain tight tendons / ligamates in the leg.

Have an ortho test the ACL in the knee. A sports physical therapist can put her through exercises to isolate muscles and muscle groups.

It could be a number of thimgs but the insurance game will dictate anti enflammatories and pain meds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes