Crazy injury - to the bucket dad!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
I caught for 3 years for DD. No biggie. 2 years ago started punching at 9-Round Fitness. Thought I can be the next Rocky. NOT!

Anyway, right shoulder started to hurt a few months ago, badly. Can't even do a simple right-hand layup with a basketball. I can still catch, but must throw the ball back to DD underhanded. No more overhand throw for me.

Got an MRI (painful, the kind where they stick a long needle into the shoulder). Doc said not bad enough for surgery, probably physical therapy would do. I thought I must have hurt it from punching bags too hard or too much, and I loved spending time on the speed bag also. (I wanted to go as fast as baby Creed. NOT!) My buddy is a sports doc so I sent him MRI. He said that can't be from boxing, what else do I use my shoulder for. Went through the list and once I said softball catching, he said that's it.

Why? DD's pitching facility had a low net. So for 3 years, I've been throwing the ball back to her at a weird angle to avoid hitting the net. Doing that for 3 years definitely took its toll. No more golf, boxing & basketball. Will try pickle ball in spring, hopefully my shoulder wouldn't be a problem.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Not catching but... after batting practice in an indoor facility with a pitching machine. I was the one who got to swing at the ‘really fast pitches’. So we crank the speed up to 63mph, max for the machine, and I take the box. Take a couple swings to show them how it’s done. I feel a small twinge in my back after about 4 swings. No big deal, I’m old so I know I’ll be a little sore. We go home with no problems. About 3am I wake up with what feels like a Knife in my left hip and a vice grip around my left knee. Touching the skin on the inside of my knee felt numb and foreign. So I go see my GP and he tells me probably a ruptured disk. Puts me on steroids and anti-inflammatories and sets me up with ortho. Ortho confirms, offers surgery vs conservative treatment. I chose conservative treatment. Had two epidurals before I got relief. Now if I do anything crazy it can inflame. Otherwise as long as I keep my weight under control It doesn’t bother me. But dang it hurt that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom