School ball Coach not pitching DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
since only 5 states play HS ball in the fall, those are more likely to get college coaches to attend (and Iowa who plays in Summer) but mostly if the kid they are after is local. The other 44 states in the country play HS ball during the same time as the college season. The recruiting window is closed at that time and coaches are not allowed to go watch games, even if they wanted to. (The only exception is if the college coach has an immediate relative playing in the HS game). I know this rule because it was on my recruiting test last year. The recruiting window for college coaching starts after the WCWS and goes to about Nov 15. That's it. Thats why the schools that play HS Ball in the fall are at a disadvantage because the majority of college coaches are at the big fall travel ball tournaments (Music City in Nashville, D9 in Orlando, Surf City events in Las Vegas, San Diego, etc).

I am not saying that college coaches "NEVER" go to HS games. What I am saying, from first hand experience and knowledge is that the HS stats are meaningless to them. If you want to agree to disagree with that, that's fine too. I'm just telling you what I know and did myself.

I agree HS stats are meaningless for recruiting. Travel as well for that matter. DD graduated HS in 2015. The D1 rules could very well have been different then. No argument that travel is where it’s at for recruiting. I just hate to see kids, or rather parents, blow off HS as irrelevant because they think it’s beneath their little princesses. Most can’t see their kid ain’t going D1 and they need every advantage they can get.

Aug 21, 2008
I agree HS stats are meaningless for recruiting. Travel as well for that matter. DD graduated HS in 2015. The D1 rules could very well have been different then. No argument that travel is where it’s at for recruiting. I just hate to see kids, or rather parents, blow off HS as irrelevant because they think it’s beneath their little princesses. Most can’t see their kid ain’t going D1 and they need every advantage they can get.

I think we're in agreement for the most part. However, if you're living in a place that plays HS ball in the fall, you have a serious decision to make. Do you play HS ball or do you play with your travel team that goes to the showcase tournaments. And lets face it, some HS coaches are only coaching because they have a teachers union who supports this. Schools don't always get the best coaches because their union forces High Schools to hire from within, and if no teachers want the job then it goes out to the public. I'm sure there are countless HS coaches who love the game and try their best to do what's right. But there are plenty of others that try to take over every aspect of a player, forcing H/E pitching mechanics down their throat despite the fact the pitcher goes to someone who doesn't teach that stuff. Some HS and TB programs work together and coexist. Others cannot stand each other and feel it's a competition. I know an organization in Iowa that only gives their blessing to play HS if you are playing varsity. If you miss games, practices or tournaments with their organization to go play JV or lower, they will encourage you not to play for your school. I see both sides of that.

Oct 4, 2018
Even our little middle school team has tons of drama and politics. It's not a fun season -- glad it's only a few short months. And I hope high school is better, but I'm not counting on it.

Oct 4, 2018
I think we're in agreement for the most part. However, if you're living in a place that plays HS ball in the fall, you have a serious decision to make. Do you play HS ball or do you play with your travel team that goes to the showcase tournaments. And lets face it, some HS coaches are only coaching because they have a teachers union who supports this. Schools don't always get the best coaches because their union forces High Schools to hire from within, and if no teachers want the job then it goes out to the public. I'm sure there are countless HS coaches who love the game and try their best to do what's right. But there are plenty of others that try to take over every aspect of a player, forcing H/E pitching mechanics down their throat despite the fact the pitcher goes to someone who doesn't teach that stuff. Some HS and TB programs work together and coexist. Others cannot stand each other and feel it's a competition. I know an organization in Iowa that only gives their blessing to play HS if you are playing varsity. If you miss games, practices or tournaments with their organization to go play JV or lower, they will encourage you not to play for your school. I see both sides of that.

At least in the lower ages of travel, here in Georgia, the travel teams pause in August and September while girls play high school. Perhaps that changes as they get 16u and 18u?

May 16, 2016
At least in the lower ages of travel, here in Georgia, the travel teams pause in August and September while girls play high school. Perhaps that changes as they get 16u and 18u?

Does not change in 16u in Georgia. Everyone on my DDs 16u A level travel team plays HS ball.

May 21, 2015
South
A full softball career (playing 4 years of college) is simply a series of highs and lows. The key is to enjoy the highs and to not take the lows to seriously.

Aug 21, 2008

It would depend. Some states disallow travel ball and school ball to be played together. In Ohio, for example, anyone who plays for school is not even allowed to PRACTICE with their summer team. I don't understand how that is legal, but I'm sure people much smarter than me have filed lawsuits. I don't get how a school can tell someone what they can or can't do off school property and school time but, apparently it's legal. So, irrelevant of the ages, it comes down to what the state allows. THEN, it will come down to what the school allows. I know schools that disallow anything with travel ball while the school ball season is in session. But, I also know TB orgs that won't allow high school ball to be played and interfere with their seasons. So it goes both ways. In both cases, it seems to be about ego not about what is best for the kids.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It would depend. Some states disallow travel ball and school ball to be played together. In Ohio, for example, anyone who plays for school is not even allowed to PRACTICE with their summer team. I don't understand how that is legal, but I'm sure people much smarter than me have filed lawsuits. I don't get how a school can tell someone what they can or can't do off school property and school time but, apparently it's legal. So, irrelevant of the ages, it comes down to what the state allows. THEN, it will come down to what the school allows. I know schools that disallow anything with travel ball while the school ball season is in session. But, I also know TB orgs that won't allow high school ball to be played and interfere with their seasons. So it goes both ways. In both cases, it seems to be about ego not about what is best for the kids.

Missouri is the same way. It’s a state athletics regulation. Kids cannot play Club/Travel Ball and School Ball at the same time. The JH and HS school seasons are usually very competitive as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad