School ball Coach not pitching DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
Forget middle school ball. It’s a joke. Focus on getting her ready for travel. If she gets time in the circle with middle school great otherwise practice outside of middle school ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. I've come to realize that some coach's "strategies", can be toxic to a developing player. Unless she really wants to play, I'd back out and have her work extensively on getting her pitching confidence back, either at home or with a personal coach.

Oct 3, 2019
It would depend. Some states disallow travel ball and school ball to be played together. In Ohio, for example, anyone who plays for school is not even allowed to PRACTICE with their summer team. I don't understand how that is legal, but I'm sure people much smarter than me have filed lawsuits. I don't get how a school can tell someone what they can or can't do off school property and school time but, apparently it's legal. So, irrelevant of the ages, it comes down to what the state allows. THEN, it will come down to what the school allows. I know schools that disallow anything with travel ball while the school ball season is in session. But, I also know TB orgs that won't allow high school ball to be played and interfere with their seasons. So it goes both ways. In both cases, it seems to be about ego not about what is best for the kids.
I can see at a higher level but, lower levels / age groups, should be allowed to do all that they can to keep developing. My granddaughter started playing late, 12u, and plays pretty much year round now, just trying to develop her skills. During rec league, she practices with her travel team which has Fall/Winter/Spring ball, all to get ready for Summer season.

Oct 3, 2019
Did i read this correctly?
Coach did not have pitcher/dd warm up pitching at all befor the game?
Maybe a one off oops?
Or possibly coach is on the low end of their learning curve trying.
Either way,
That is both the answer and moral to this story.

Best case scenario is treat the coach like they are the smartest best coach in the world.
And remind them in
QUESTION FORM
Do pitchers usually get to warm up pitching befor games?
If i were a pitcher...i would ask that every game day the immediate moment i saw the coach at pre-game warms ups.

Things like this
Are why players become/recognize they are smarter than coaches.
And often the players thinking for themselves becomes most important.

Stick to your daughters individual sb plan.
Dont let any school ball or teams coach be an obstacle blocking her.
Learn how to maneuver threw obstacles!!!!
Life skills!
I also think that once a player loses confidence in a coach, their enjoyment and committment take a hit. If a coach doesn't put the kid in the best position to succeed, the kid will know that. I don't mean a favorite position or playing time, but not preparing them well for a game, whether in practices or even, warm-ups before the game, it is harmful to them. It's an issue of trust with the coach. I imagine that not having a pitcher warm up adequately, exposes them to possible injury.

Oct 10, 2018
Same thing happened to my DD, beyond frustrating when they throw them out cold and expect a game-saving performance. Freshman on Varsity, first time on the rubber - mid-inning he puts her in with no warning; doesn't even let her change her first baseman's mitt for her pitching glove. She got them out of the inning and only allowed 1 run despite coming cold with based loaded and that heavy mitt but it doesn't look like she'll see the circle again any time soon. Which is fine with me, he doesn't deserve her arm if he's going to expect great pitching from a cold arm thrown off balance with a heavy mitt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00