Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I couldn't agree with you more.. and I feel the same way, I am entitled to my own opinion.

Absolutely! Discussions are great. Even arguments are fine, sometimes. My preference is that both parties behave professionally and show restraint. Unfortunately that does not happen enough. Not pointing finger at you @julray. Just some past experiences that detract from this site and have destroyed at least one other site that I know of.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think you have missed the whole point of the thread. Context IS key. Nobody is saying swing down and through. It is Down to. The turn of the body provides the positive path.

ARod, Pujols, Trout, Bonds, Chamberlain, etc are all ISOLATING HAND PATH!!!!!!

If you try to manipulate a bat with your hands to achieve the desired swing and you also turn, you will get a loop. If you take a down to approach as demoed add in sequence, posture etc you will get an elite bat path.

Then you will try a billion "fixes" to try to remedy the loop.

A lot of you guys are looking at a finished product and deducing how the the product was made. Why don't you just ask the person who made it, how they made it, and believe them. Have you ever done a puzzle where you couldn't figure it out and then someone showed you the "trick". The "trick" didn't seem right but made the puzzle solvable.

I am a recent convert to this "old school" hitting. Why because I actually went out and videoed myself swinging down. I posted the video. I got into FYB position and swung down like demoed. I posted the video and Julray laughed at me haha. In a nice way he said you have no posture and no turn. Try to swing down with those elements. So I watched the video of myself and he was exactly right. So I went back out and while constantly thinking straight down to the ball, keep posture, turn and hit. I was hitting missels, it actually freaking works. I put my pitching machine on 85 from about 45' and was able to hit way more consistent. Before I felt like hitting was a bit of a guessing game. I was pretty good at it, but now I didn't have to be.

For some reason the down to approach generates a swing that produces more backspin. A cutting swing. The effect is real.

The backspin is a result of two things. The location on the ball that contact is made and the difference in angle between the barrel's path and the ball's path. People talk about being "on-plane" with the pitch. Some take this comment too literally. Imagine trying to be "on-plane" with a Kershaw curve ball. Imagine how steep that would be. The key is having a slightly upward path into contact (which I believe is what you are saying), that will meet a slightly more downward path from the pitch. The collision results in backspin. Some refer to this slightly upward path as "down to", some refer to it as "behind and through".

May 12, 2016
I think you have missed the whole point of the thread. Context IS key. Nobody is saying swing down and through. It is Down to. The turn of the body provides the positive path.

ARod, Pujols, Trout, Bonds, Chamberlain, etc are all ISOLATING HAND PATH!!!!!!

If you try to manipulate a bat with your hands to achieve the desired swing and you also turn, you will get a loop. If you take a down to approach as demoed add in sequence, posture etc you will get an elite bat path.

A lot of you guys are looking at a finished product and deducing how the the product was made. Why don't you just ask the person who made it, how they made it, and believe them.
Have you ever done a puzzle where you couldn't figure it out and then someone showed you the "trick". The "trick" didn't seem right but made the puzzle solvable.

I am a recent convert to this "old school" hitting. Why because I actually went out and videoed myself swinging down. I posted the video. I got into FYB position and swung down like demoed. I posted the video and Julray laughed at me haha. In a nice way he said you have no posture and no turn. Try to swing down with those elements. So I watched the video of myself and he was exactly right. So I went back out and while constantly thinking straight down to the ball, keep posture, turn and hit. I was hitting missels, it actually freaking works. I put my pitching machine on 85 from about 45' and was able to hit way more consistent. Before I felt like hitting was a bit of a guessing game. I was pretty good at it, but now I didn't have to be.

For some reason the down to approach generates a swing that produces more backspin. A cutting swing. The effect is real.
Listen to James, not me. I've tried to explain this a million times and I do a poor job of it. James is much better at painting this picture.

May 12, 2016
Absolutely! Discussions are great. Even arguments are fine, sometimes. My preference is that both parties behave professionally and show restraint. Unfortunately that does not happen enough. Not pointing finger at you @julray. Just some past experiences that detract from this site and have destroyed at least one other site that I know of.
I'm no angel, I get into my arguments :). However I do not have an agenda, nor do I have a group of folks on here that I always back up no matter what. I don't care how many likes I get or how many agree with me. I could agree with the same person for a 1000 posts and the next one I could be disagreeing with. It's not personal, I just like discussing ball, and like or not some of these controversial aspects are the most interesting. Great group of people on here, however most of you have pissed me off one time or another, and I am sure the feeling is mutual. Water under the bridge until next time :)

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I think the site you're referring to, "some posters" have settled on movement differences and moved on.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm no angel, I get into my arguments :). However I do not have an agenda, nor do I have a group of folks on here that I always back up no matter what. I don't care how many likes I get or how many agree with me. I could agree with the same person for a 1000 posts and the next one I could be disagreeing with. It's not personal, I just like discussing ball, and like or not some of these controversial aspects are the most interesting. Great group of people on here, however most of you have pissed me off one time or another, and I am sure the feeling is mutual. Water under the bridge until next time :)

I agree completely. I make it a point to avoid cliques. I have been out of high school a long time... ;)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the site you're referring to, "some posters" have settled on movement differences and moved on.

They moved on because neither side was willing to have a legitimate conversation about the differences. When true conversation was attempted, it never lasted long. The interesting thing is that many of us actually agreed on a number of things. But those with their agendas wouldn't buy it. The SB posts are a great example of what I have been saying for years.

May 12, 2016
I think a new thread should be started on these "pre-pitch" actions. I really don't understand the significance of it.. the main thing is does not hinder the hitter getting to FYB with good posture. Who cares what he does before starting his sequence, that's why we so many different stances but they all arrive to the same launch position relatively speaking. Could be I just don't understand

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
They moved on because neither side was willing to have a legitimate conversation about the differences. When true conversation was attempted, it never lasted long. The interesting thing is that many of us actually agreed on a number of things. But those with their agendas wouldn't buy it. The SB posts are a great example of what I have been saying for years.

Who had the agendas ?? I think plenty have recognized the pattern differences (including SB just look at his twitter posts) and realized its more than an opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who had the agendas ?? I think plenty have recognized the pattern differences (including SB) and realized its more than an opinion.

You were there. You know how it was. Those twitter posts from SB are something that many of us have agreed on for years. We all agreed that "up front actions" are important. But as soon as we added the word "style" because there are different ways to accomplish it (hitter specific), certain folks would get bent out of shape.

by the way, have you checked his feed today? :censored:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32