Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

So do any of you teach this specifically, and if so what do you do?

Guaranteed end of career if you swing like this. If she hits home runs, she does not swing like this. You can't hit with a downward angle and make the ball go up. Let me repeat that. You can't swing down and expect the ball to go up.

Here is her upswing bat path in her real swing.
batpath4.JPG

Even if you swing level (0 deg launch angle), the ball can ONLY travel 50 feet before hitting the ground.

Why do people fall for this?

You must have a 8-10 deg launch angle just to get it over the pitchers head, so must come from underneath the ball.
mannyswingplane.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Both the core and the rear leg are important...
The core and both legs are important. Not my ego speaking here, just saying. I believe TDS is referring to certain movement patterns though, not just body parts.

Reactions: TDS
May 12, 2016
Guaranteed end of career if you swing like this. If she hits home runs, she does not swing like this. You can't hit with a downward angle and make the ball go up. Let me repeat that. You can't swing down and expect the ball to go up.

You must have a 8-10 deg launch angle just to get it over the pitchers head, so must come from underneath the ball.
mannyswingplane.gif
Regarding LC and her hand path

Regarding an example of a hitter who does not have a 8-10 degree launch angle result in a HR. It is not necessary to be "up through" the ball
gif (15).gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The core and both legs are important.

I have no issue with this statement. Never have... I stated core and rear leg because that is what TDS typed. I just replied to his comment.

I view this like I do the current political climate. People are entitled to their own opinions. They are just not entitled to tell me what my opinion is...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The whole swing down/up thing is way overblown. The barrel swing is a pendulum. There is timing involved. When swinging down or lagging the barrel this creates a delay of the upswing of the barrel. Just like if you swung up or level you are releasing the barrel earlier. Players who get to contact point to soon may need to swing a bit more down. It happens all the time on the outside pitch. I regularly have kids swing down on the outside pitch and swing more to the pitcher on the inside pitch. Same goes for high and low pitches.

May 12, 2016
I have no issue with this statement. Never have... I stated core and rear leg because that is what TDS typed. I just replied to his comment.

I view this like I do the current political climate. People are entitled to their own opinions. They are just not entitled to tell me what my opinion is...
I couldn't agree with you more.. and I feel the same way, I am entitled to my own opinion.
View attachment 18882
This is 'up'. It's an 11 deg upswing. Nobody. Nobody. Ever hits a home run swinging down. Nobody.

If you swing down, you hit the top of the ball. This is what happens in real life, when you hit above the midline..
hitting-faults-hit-top-of-ball-animated.gif
Capture2.PNG 1597765657077.png

Sorry, that's not 11 or 8 degrees. Nice thing about pausing a video you get to see the motion blur behind it. Easy to see here where Romeros swing bottoms out into contact. You need to draw your biased line again, it's distorting the truth :).

BTW, all bats arc up at some point. It's what happens prior to and at contact that matters when discussing launch angle. Romero is staying through the ball as long as possible, 8-11 degrees doesn't come into play here. The ball leaves the park because of where Romero makes contact with the ball(just below center).. not because of "barrel path launch angle" which is obvious when viewing the acute angle the ball leaves the bat compared to her barrel path extension

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017

Here is her upswing bat path in her real swing.
View attachment 18883

Even if you swing level (0 deg launch angle), the ball can ONLY travel 50 feet before hitting the ground.

mannyswingplane.gif

I think you have missed the whole point of the thread. Context IS key. Nobody is saying swing down and through. It is Down to. The turn of the body provides the positive path.

ARod, Pujols, Trout, Bonds, Chamberlain, etc are all ISOLATING HAND PATH!!!!!!

If you try to manipulate a bat with your hands to achieve the desired swing and you also turn, you will get a loop. If you take a down to approach as demoed add in sequence, posture etc you will get an elite bat path.

A lot of you guys are looking at a finished product and deducing how the the product was made. Why don't you just ask the person who made it, how they made it, and believe them. Have you ever done a puzzle where you couldn't figure it out and then someone showed you the "trick". The "trick" didn't seem right but made the puzzle solvable.

I am a recent convert to this "old school" hitting. Why because I actually went out and videoed myself swinging down. I posted the video. I got into FYB position and swung down like demoed. I posted the video and Julray laughed at me haha. In a nice way he said you have no posture and no turn. Try to swing down with those elements. So I watched the video of myself and he was exactly right. So I went back out and while constantly thinking straight down to the ball, keep posture, turn and hit. I was hitting missels, it actually freaking works. I put my pitching machine on 85 from about 45' and was able to hit way more consistent. Before I felt like hitting was a bit of a guessing game. I was pretty good at it, but now I didn't have to be.

For some reason the down to approach generates a swing that produces more backspin. A cutting swing. The effect is real.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi