Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Can you elaborate how to teach getting palm up early while being “down to”?

As far as teaching palm up, it’s about getting the barrel to turn while maintaining the angle between the back forearm and bat. The palm should end up facing up if angles are maintained. The intent is to make sure the barrel doesn’t get away from the body too soon or to late, east/west (before the launch of the swing or after the turn). Down to is about not releasing the barrel into its arc too soon.

What palm up does for a hitter is allow them to stay short to and long through(on plane). What down to does is allows one to control when the release into the arc happens.

If you want the most efficient way to teach it. Alternate heavy and long bats and flip inside. Asked for pulled balls. Of course everything else has gotta be adequate. Sequence etc. etc. immediate feedback due to contact quality.

May 12, 2016
Thanks for explaining W. @FP26 correct me I’m wrong but you said palm up “early”... W, I’m not sure how a hitter is supposed to achieve that unless they TTB. I certainly believe in palm up, but I don’t see it as a forced action, and I believe you stay palm up as long as possible.

Am I making any sense here?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks for explaining W. @FP26 correct me I’m wrong but you said palm up “early”... W, I’m not sure how a hitter is supposed to achieve that unless they TTB. I certainly believe in palm up, but I don’t see it as a forced action, and I believe you stay palm up as long as possible.

Yeah TTB happens as a reaction, and palm up or barrel up until release. But I get what you mean by long as possible. The palm starts forward and gets to ‘up’ . Stays up until release. Or stays up through release. I guess it depends how you look at it. Make sense?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I like the description provided by @Work=wins. He explains it pretty well. Personally, I never considered it as a "forced action", but have seen that phrase used before as an attempt to discredit the process. You know, the typical propaganda garbage we find in hitting forum when someone doesn't agree with something... Anyway, since I don't have access to my gifs while I am at work, check out the Tewks blog pasted below. To me, that is "palm up early". I never quite understood @TDS description of sagittal plane, but this is sort of what I envision. He is welcome to correct me...

May 12, 2016
Yeah TTB happens as a reaction, and palm up or barrel up until release. But I get what you mean by long as possible. The palm starts forward and gets to ‘up’ . Stays up until release. Or stays up through release. I guess it depends how you look at it. Make sense?
Yes it's what we've been saying for quite sometime.

From your previous post, to me, this just means staying connected
" maintaining the angle between the back forearm and bat. ...............The intent is to make sure the barrel doesn’t get away from the body too soon ......"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes it's what we've been saying for quite sometime.

From your previous post, to me, this means just staying connected
" maintaining the angle between the back forearm and bat. ...............The intent is to make sure the barrel doesn’t get away from the body too soon ......"

Yep. All stuff many of us have been talking about for years. Hinge angle was a popular topic for Donny Buster... Of course there are two versions of hinge angle, but let's not muddy the waters any further... Lol!

Feb 25, 2020
I have been following this thread closely.

I've ascertained that Mr. 625 is a multimillionaire and highly sought after for his hitting expertise. We are lucky to have him post here.

I've also been proven wrong by Ww. He can actually say something smart/true.

We've also found out that mike trout has had the same swing/swing thought since he was a kid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22