Pure barrels or cut!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Two other things I want to add, one is that when I hit flies to the outfield I try to hit just below the midline of the ball, but I most certainly do not swing down. The other is that you have to factor in barrel deflection when you look at the bat path after contact. If you hit the bottom half of the ball the bat will be deflected downward making it look like the path to contact was also on a descending path, not so.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
This video gives a very interesting view of bat trajectory through contact. If you stop the video at 33 seconds and again at 41 and play with the pause you can catch a frame with the blurred bat going right through the ball. It doesn't look to me like the barrel is on a downward path.

I take a lot of video and look at a lot of it online. I have always valued high shutter speed and high def for getting a clear look at a swing or a pitching motion. Looking at this video makes me realize that there is value in slow shutter speed video because, going frame by frame, it shows continued or blurred motion. You can get a good look at the trajectory of the bat in this video. You can see about 18" of bat travel into contact. It's fascinating.
Is anybody saying that a hitter who has a "down to" approach continues on downward after contact with the ball? I may of missed something in the thread, just curious if it was in response to something?

Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
Is anybody saying that a hitter who has a "down to" approach continues on downward after contact with the ball? I may of missed something in the thread, just curious if it was in response to something?
I think the OP did in Post 25.

Nov 16, 2017
I think the OP did in Post 25.

If the ball is on a downward trajectory and you cut straight through or slightly under the ball. That does not equal continues downward. That is still a slight up.

Here is my quote.

You can also tell a cut swing because the instant after impact the bat still has a downward point even though it has started up.

"Even though it has started up."

And just to clarify the downward point, I mean extension. Watch the HR derby video and all of the extension is with the bat pointing up. Romeo video, Donaldson video all with the point of the bat level or pointing down at extension.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If the ball is on a downward trajectory and you cut straight through or slightly under the ball. That does not equal continues downward. That is still a slight up.

Here is my quote.

You can also tell a cut swing because the instant after impact the bat still has a downward point even though it has started up.

"Even though it has started up."

And just to clarify the downward point, I mean extension. Watch the HR derby video and all of the extension is with the bat pointing up. Romeo video, Donaldson video all with the point of the bat level or pointing down at extension.
Fair enough. I apologize for misrepresenting what you said, it wasn't intentional.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Unfortunately things can get distorted very easily. Some people talk about "down to", and others envision "down through". Others will talk about "behind and through" and some envision "severe upper cut". In reality, the things we talk about are not that different. People's egos make that a hard pill to swallow...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Unfortunately things can get distorted very easily. Some people talk about "down to", and others envision "down through". Others will talk about "behind and through" and some envision "severe upper cut". In reality, the things we talk about are not that different. People's egos make that a hard pill to swallow...

fp26, the hard pill to swallow is folks have differnet movement patterns and some want to say they are all the same and its just a style thing.. Unfortunately those folks have never felt it so it's not real.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is more than a style thing.

NPTCsqb.gif

mO4nVqR.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
fp26, the hard pill to swallow is folks have differnet movement patterns and some want to say they are all the same and its just a style thing.. Unfortunately those folks have never felt it so it's not real.

If you are talking about Rich's pattern, sure. But I have been clear for years that I don't follow Rich's pattern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi