Problems with drag foot.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
Ken
Great post!.......for Legend.....note the position/rotation of the foot when the arm is at 10 o'clock (like the pic of your DD).....then note that the drag doesn't really go onto the top of the toe until the arm is somewhere past 9 o'clock...check where your DD's drag is at this point.
The "fad" of teaching getting on the top of the toe immediately is not an ideal movement.....its "cute" but not ideal. The drive foot wants to push with the inside of the big toe thus some early rotation of the foot prior to the push is totally acceptable and early drag on the inside of the toe is acceptable.....drop the drag box idea....it does not promote what the natural bio-mechanics want to do.

This ^^ is exactly what we strive for and work on and it's pretty much what DD's body want to do naturally when everything falls into place. Of course there are times they do not all fall into place :p
Rick, I still have video of you teaching my DD about her drag foot in one of the clinics we did with you (and Sarah), it's invaluable to us and we refer to it all the time! She's getting better at it!

Jun 7, 2016
Apologies to Legend for hijacking, but your original images wont display for me consequently not sure if we are talking same issue. So I am going to post two showing an "anchor foot" and also one where hips snap forward (as I interpret Pauly's instructions)
anchor.jpg
hipsnap.jpg

I have been given different perspectives on why most times she wont rotate the hips to 50 degrees at release. I have heard muscle memory from original HE instruction to pitch past hips, to muscle imbalances and deficiences. She says when she really works to launch from mound leg gets left behind then "forgets" to adduct knees. I see she starts stride and her foot turns out 50 degrees and then beomes "lazy". We work pitching to net from 12 oclock and also full circle w/o launch (just stride) and it is "corrected". Gets very frustrating for me. Not sure it bothers her much except that she feels she is leaving power on the table.
Any insights for cues? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
DD and I recently had some sessions with Rich Balswick....while we focused mostly on spin, he did make a comment about DD orienting her laces to third bases as opposed to laces to the catcher. Making this adjustment allow for better hip alignment/timing for brush.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As some have alluded the foot is rarely if ever the problem, it is the symptom. Treat the problem, and the symptom will disappear.

Stand behind her and watch her walk. Note the position of her feet when she pushes to take a step. That is what is natural for her and is more or less what you want coming off the pitchers plate.

If she were my student we would be spending time on something else.

Last edited:

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
Interestingly, I teach kids to explode squarely, but allow extension to open the body naturally.

+1 Explode off the pitching plate square (knee and laces) towards the catcher... allow your stride leg to pull you open and your pivot/drive foot will rotate naturally. Rotation of the pivot/drive foot should be such that the heel never touches the ground.

Just my $.02.

Feb 7, 2013
+1 Explode off the pitching plate square (knee and laces) towards the catcher... allow your stride leg to pull you open and your pivot/drive foot will rotate naturally. Rotation of the pivot/drive foot should be such that the heel never touches the ground.

Just my $.02.

There are some good threads about why turning the foot a little outward is preferred. Maybe someone can find them?

Sep 29, 2014
As long as the heel is not dragging the ground you are usually OK...even seen a few bounce

I would rather have her understand how it FEELS than anything mechanical...try this.

Have her stand just like she is in the picture, basically like she was starting to pitch then stopped when she landed on front foot.

Now have her put her back heel on the ground and hold it there it should feel funny and unnatural now have her lift her heel off the ground she should feel her hips release...that is what it should feel like.

I would not be a big fan of the contraption myself, although for drills I guess its OK.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi