Problems with drag foot.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
My DD does this, as just about EVERY other pitcher I see in her age group. Some more, some less, but I see it in like 90% of them. My kid is 11. She's not perfect and I know she will change a bunch in the next couple of years so I don't harp on her too much but we do work on it. I am ALSO a firm believer in trying to do things as close to "right" as we can get, because with each pitch she throws she's engraining muscle memory. And if she's doing something "off" then why throw 1000's of pitches every month like that. Sigh it's always something isn't it?
Anyway, I too worry from an injury perspective. When my DD turns her foot when launching off the rubber it does a chain reaction sort of thing. It makes her knee turn out so now she's using more of her inner thigh muscles to push off. Then she launches and gets open. toe is ok right up until her plant foot lands. Once she plants she is now dragging the "inner" side of her toe instead of being more "laces down". This causes her drag leg to get stuck sort of too straight sometimes. which then makes her swing her drag leg way behind her plant foot before finally finishing knee to knee (kind of like a big swoosh). It looks like extra movement that could "possibly" be slowing her down. "possibly" because when we get her to pitch with a more "laces turned down" form she slows way down because she's thinking about it. So would she be faster if she corrected this? I don't know. And if so how much? Again maybe barely noticeable but again I don't really know. The one thing I DO notice is the times her drag leg gets way swung behind her that puts her hips in a position where she gets barely any brush, or brushes too far forward on her hip. THIS is my biggest reason for trying to correct this. To work on that Her PC has her do a "progression". She will start about 12 feet from her catcher and pitch at like 50% while solely focusing on her drag toe and turning the laces. After about 10-15 of those she moves back a few feet and repeats. She continues to throw a set, focusing on the toe, and moving back a few feet unitl she is all the way back at the pitching rubber. Then she will go full pitch and try not to hyper focus on her toe anymore. Its a muscle memory thing just like everything else. One of these days she will be older, more mature and more in tune with her body and can try to focus on it with every pitch. She has to be concious of it and want to stop doing it before she will really stop doing it.

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks so much, that is what I want to hear. In the picture she had actually been working on it and it looked a lot better.Her pc really just used the box so she could get a feel of dragging her foot with laces to the catcher, not something used all the time. It was me wanting to use it to help her out at home but it seems she is already doing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A cue I like:
"Imagine you just applied the most awful colored nail polish on your toes and the only way to get rid of it is to drag your toenails!"

Jun 14, 2016
Great cue, going to use it with her. I've been using laces to catcher but I like that one better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don't care much for obnoxious parents constantly yelling out instructions during games, but gotta say, if I ever showed up and heard mom or dad yell out "NAIL POLISH!", there would be high fives!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
34a6637cd3a329d66707091cccfbe534.jpg

Until I see something FAR WORSE, I see absolutely nothing wrong with her drag foot in this picture. In fact, looking at her overall in this picture, I would stress... DO NO HARM.

It would be great to see a clip of her pitching from this side. Then, you can get pointers on what the MOST PRESSING issues are. I have a feeling that there are issues far more important than this drag foot thing.

Last edited:
I think her drag looks great and would not address a thing based on the picture.

View attachment 11713

I'm not a fan of boxes, noodles, bricks, razor blades or most other devices to force a body part into doing something. Teach the sequence and mechanics and use repetition and feedback to make it permanent.

Ken
Great post!.......for Legend.....note the position/rotation of the foot when the arm is at 10 o'clock (like the pic of your DD).....then note that the drag doesn't really go onto the top of the toe until the arm is somewhere past 9 o'clock...check where your DD's drag is at this point.
The "fad" of teaching getting on the top of the toe immediately is not an ideal movement.....its "cute" but not ideal. The drive foot wants to push with the inside of the big toe thus some early rotation of the foot prior to the push is totally acceptable and early drag on the inside of the toe is acceptable.....drop the drag box idea....it does not promote what the natural bio-mechanics want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi