Practical Hitting Drills Progression & Checklist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Some coaches don't at all like this "C" path of the barrel, and they argue that it gets to the ball too slow. I DO like this "C" path of the barrel for many reasons.

Those coaches also tend not to understand the proper way to make that "C" happen. If that "C" is created by a lot of hand travel (in relation to the rear shoulder), then it is a problem. If the "C" is created by the hands rotating the barrel while the hands stay connected to the travel of the rear shoulder, then it's a good thing. Hand travel to move the barrel is slow. Hand rotation to move the barrel is fast. Short hand travel to get long barrel travel means lots of bat speed to contact.

Sep 17, 2009
Indiana's DH. Congrats on turning a bunch of endless conversations (including this thread, which turned out to be less about your "program" then detail-haggling that one could easily find on dozens of other threads going years back across multiple sites) into something more structured.

I say this not to criticize all that conversation -- it's a good socratic way to learn -- but to turn the conversation a bit to what IDH has done here.

At some point, coaches with teams or instructors with students need to "programize" all this content. I've done it a few times in my days (10-plus years now coaching travel teams), but to be honest haven't attempted to "freeze and capture" in a while because DFP, HI, etc. produces a TON of content. Doing what the OP is very daunting.

So kudos again for that. I would be very interested to see how you would go back in and tweak what you've put on paper after working with girls for an entire off-season.

One more thing, Indiana's DH: the PPT "analysis" you provided looks like you might be doing it on a girl-by-girl basis? Is that the case? If so, I like the checklist approach, that way you aren't starting from scratch with each girl. How do they like the "written" analysis feedback? Do they "get it"? Is it helpful?

Are you doing any video analysis? -- I've been using Ubersense and I know others use Coaches Eye or RVP for that. Could you compare that vs. written/checklist analysis in terms of how your girls absorb feedback?

TKS. Good work and good luck. Our current team took your exact journey: from 14U B+ (we finished high at USSSA nationals in Disney) to 16U A (ASA and PGF) to 18U A+ (full slate of PGF and high-level exposure) in three consecutive years (ie, we now have about half our girls playing "up" in order to keep team together). Work it like a process, as you are doing, and always tell your girls it's better to get beat by a great team than to beat up a lousy one lol!

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
Coogans Bluff, DD just attended a camp with Pat Murphy and one of the drills was wiffle ball front toss hit with what she described as oversize ping pong paddle.

The Pro-Hammers don't get too much love here but I have the fastpitch model -11 and a 34" -3 baseball model which we use sparingly. I like it but I like to have one gadget station per hitting session instead of just bats. Weird like that I guess.

I have seen this done before also. I believe it is a Pickle ball paddle that they used when I saw this done. \

RTRC_0034-0039.jpg

The paddle is bigger and the handle is longer than a Ping Pong paddle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad