Power Triangle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Yes, the swing happens quick.

I had a lady in the cages that often struggles with self-awareness issues. Mid-session she diverted from the point-of-emphasis and told me she wanted to rotate more. I told her that if she would work on two things for me first, then I would show her how to cure what she considered a rotation deficiency. I asked her to flush all thoughts of rotation. First I had her work on rear-side lateral bend and lordosis ... simply by using a cue of dusting off our rear butt cheek (... will explain the cue later if it isn't obvious). Then had her work on front-side lateral bend as a precursor to this rear-side action. She was excited by her ability to hit shots to the back of the cage. Had to tweak her a bit, basically giving her various cues ... I need more "dusting off of the rear butt cheek" ... give me more "lead side lateral bend". She remained thrilled by the power ... oblivious to a change in her swing that she had earlier asked for. Then told her to do her best to 'freeze' her body on completion of her next swing. As she remained in a 'frozen' state after her next swing I asked ... "did you become rotated?" ... she answered "oh my gosh, yes I did" ... to which I asked ... "did you try to become rotated?" ... to which she said "no, it just somehow happened". To which I explained, that good hitters do NOT "try" to rotate, they simply move their body efficiently and become rotated as a result. The parent sitting in the back of the cage was mystified. Apparently they have been working on trying to rotate for years, and the parent was surprised that rotation could take place without consciously trying to rotate.

Thank you for the explanation for "dusting off your rear butt cheek", but what do you mean by "lead side lateral bend"... Then had her work on front-side lateral bend as a precursor to this rear-side action. Thanks

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
what do you mean by "lead side lateral bend"...
I think this....
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/26554-power-triangle-7.html#post368010
Leadside_Lateral_Bend.gif

May 12, 2016
Thanks RDB, still kind of hard to visualize from those pics.. I'm trying to think of a way to explain it to a 12 year old that makes sense, the dusting off of the rear butt cheek is a great cue. Hard for me to explain Lead Side Lateral Bend, or maybe I don't understand completely

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks RDB, still kind of hard to visualize from those pics.. I'm trying to think of a way to explain it to a 12 year old that makes sense, the dusting off of the rear butt cheek is a great cue. Hard for me to explain Lead Side Lateral Bend, or maybe I don't understand completely

"Lead side lateral bend" is wording that most young players will have a hard time digesting. Try "side bend, bringing the front shoulder down".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
How about front side 'scrunch'.
How about 'down and in' cue I used with me DD.
9uvpl5.gif

It got us that "lead side lateral bend"... and I never even used that cue or wording.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
"Lead side lateral bend" is wording that most young players will have a hard time digesting. Try "side bend, bringing the front shoulder down".

Thanks Eric, that makes sense. So the the "Lead side lateral bend" occurs during load, and rear-side action (Dust off the rear cheek) is the first thing triggered after front foot heel plant?

May 12, 2016
How about front side 'scrunch'.
How about 'down and in' cue I used with me DD.
9uvpl5.gif

It got us that "lead side lateral bend"... and I never even used that cue or wording.

Thank you very much, this makes sense to me as well! Just sitting here thinking about both of these motions, it just seems like such a powerful violent movement.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you very much, this makes sense to me as well! Just sitting here thinking about both of these motions, it just seems like such a powerful violent motion.

I hope you're also standing up and moving to feel them for yourself. :)

Powerful and violent is the goal...so is sudden and adjustable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1