Power Triangle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let me know if this is a better one. Http://youtu.be/HPlHdREGqGo

Consider performing the 45-degree drill with the front foot on the ground, similar to a no-stride type approach ... or with a minimal stride.

167nn28.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

It appears you are working towards a 1 legged movement pattern like HI promotes... This pattern works but isn't the same pattern of the best...

IMO you are removing the potential athleticism from the girl. Expecting a kid to react and direct the energy to a pitch from the ground up in different zones using one side of the body is a handicap.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

It appears you are working towards a 1 legged movement pattern like HI promotes... This pattern works but isn't the same pattern of the best...

IMO you are removing the potential athleticism from the girl. Expecting a kid to react and direct the energy to a pitch from the ground up in different zones using one side of the body is a handicap.

TDS, is it the case that if we use Tjintx's definition of "two-legged" that most game-like swings of HI hitters are "two-legged"?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS, is it the case that if we use Tjintx's definition of "two-legged" that most game-like swings of HI hitters are "two-legged"?

This HI clip comparison is one legged.. IOW's the rear leg action causes the the front leg response. The movement is a frontal plane action.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

This HI clip comparison is one legged.. IOW's the rear leg action causes the the front leg response. The movement is a frontal plane action.

Using Tjintx's definition of "one-legged" many instructors are "one-legged".

Instructors that promote keeping the front foot square into foot-down tend to promote what Tjintx refers to as "one-legged". That would include instructors such as Yeager.

Interestingly enough, the Tjintx definition would have Yeager classified as one-legged with the rear leg, while many speak of Yeager's instruction as promoting the front leg. The reality is that his hitters use both legs.

Personally I believe it is best not to get sucked into the one-legged vs two-legged classification, and instead speak of the specific differences.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
My reason, right or wrong, for the one leg is for the athlete to feel the contribution from the back leg and hip. If we do the two leg , less rear hip load and more lateral push happens. I'm now thinking of starting with the one legged SNF and completing with the two legged SNF. I like to use multiple movement patterns to hopefully influence their hitting in the right direction . Thanks for the input

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mike-Coach, when I look at this swing I see mostly an arm-initiated swing with limited core involvement.

4fxu0g.gif

Would suggest going back to posts 9, 10 & 11 of this thread. See if you can get the backside action leading the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One potential ‘feel’ is that the core/back/torso is being used to resist the rotation of the shoulders (shoulder line) towards the pitcher, while ‘assisting’ the rear upper leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1