POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
34WJd9k.gif

3eZtNEe.gif

Both hitters use reciprocal actions as part of their Trunk rotation Very hard to shift from using something other than the core to set up the core to turn the trunk.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
All good with me, wouldn’t expect everybody to agree with me. Just not sure why anybody would bend at the waist and not use their torso... seems terribly inefficient to me? Anyway my point was not about how somebody bends at the waist, it’s the fact that they do to get on plane.. I think you agree.

I guess I don’t. Posture is for space. All the other stuff like more forward bend or lateral tilt is done after swing launch and isn’t a function of a ‘swing’ but a result of good spacing, timing and sequencing.

notice when he launches his swing? He’s pretty tall. Side bend or lateral tilt and forward bend happens thereafter. I believe that’s the legs/hips/hands making the adjustment to the height of the pitch. Not the torso. If you drop your torso you have now changed your rotational point (spine angle) and hence changed your attack angle. There simply isn’t time for that. At foot down you better know where your going.

The adjustment isn’t really with posture it’s to the height/speed of the pitch with the legs while the posture remains constant into swing launch. Lateral tilt and forward bend of the torso will be the result of the height, timing and location of the pitch you are attacking and is a function of direction in a swing not planing.

The torso doesn’t make adjustments, the hands/legs/hips/feet do. The torso is a slave to their adjustments. That’s why ‘stay tall’ is a cue to keep the torso in place and let the hands/legs/hips set the plane which the torso rotates upon. what I’m saying is the adjustments aren’t done with the torso, the distal parts make the adjustments.

I’m debating the ‘functions’ and therefore the results we are seeing. Im not sure I can prove it.🙂 I am just going off feel and experience.

1592661951659.gif

May 12, 2016
I guess I don’t. Posture is for space. All the other stuff like more forward bend or lateral tilt is done after swing launch and isn’t a function of a ‘swing’ but a result of good spacing, timing and sequencing.

notice when he launches his swing? He’s pretty tall. Side bend or lateral tilt and forward bend happens thereafter. I believe that’s the legs/hips/hands making the adjustment to the height of the pitch. Not the torso. If you drop your torso you have now changed your rotational point (spine angle) and hence changed your attack angle. There simply isn’t time for that. At foot down you better know where your going.

The adjustment isn’t really with posture it’s to the height/speed of the pitch with the legs while the posture remains constant into swing launch. Lateral tilt and forward bend of the torso will be the result of the height, timing and location of the pitch you are attacking and is a function of direction in a swing not planing.

The torso doesn’t make adjustments, the hands/legs/hips/feet do. The torso is a slave to their adjustments. That’s why ‘stay tall’ is a cue to keep the torso in place and let the hands/legs/hips set the plane which the torso rotates upon. what I’m saying is the adjustments aren’t done with the torso, the distal parts make the adjustments.

I’m debating the ‘functions’ and therefore the results we are seeing. Im not sure I can prove it.🙂 I am just going off feel and experience.

View attachment 18324
Nobodies arguing that hitters don't adjust and of course they use their legs.. and I've been saying all along that posture is not pre set.. happens at heel plant and shortly after as the swing is being launched. You love this extreme example of Trout, I'm going to add some more to the thread..

Capture.PNGCapture4.PNGCapture3.PNG

Different postures with different locations. And what I was referring to in regards to agreeing was you comment about hitters stand tall and chop down.. it's obvious that's not the case. Trout is still down to here, but he's not standing tall and chopping down. He's establishing posture and then the same hand movement

Not I care really what components cause somebody to bend at the waist(that was never my argument, my argument was hitters don't just stand tall and chop down), but..
Not sure why you believe the core is not involved in this movement. You say there's no time.. core is slave to the legs.. didn't you also say core is the main driver and legs provide leverage? That the legs are slow, core is fast? Not sure why anybody wouldn't leverage the core in this type of movement. You've added hips as well, I like that. BTW 'm not denying all the body parts you mentioned are not involved.. I know when I bend at the waist, my glutes, hamstrings and abs are engaged.

BTW I agree posture creates space.. without posture, length is created, the hands must travel around the body.. or the hitter stands tall and pushes their hands. However, posture creates that space on the correct plane for the hands to come through. That's why posture is relevant to pitch location

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Another low-ball hitter. Watch back knee for her & Trout

Yes Romero uses her legs to create leverage and adjust.. but she would be dead in the water if she didn't establish and maintain good posture first

Not directed at you BigSky
Here's a side by side of of Romero at launch, forward tilt is already established.. can you guess which pitch is higher and which one is lower? How do you know this?

Capture.PNGCapture3.PNG

When the waist bends, the butt sticks out more and the legs bend more.. unless you are doing a movement like a straight leg dead lift. The core is engaged, the butt is engaged, the hips are engaged, the legs are engaged etc. All working together, no slaves, no dead weight.

Oct 3, 2019
Like most things in this game there are multiple ways to get the job them. Please share with us what works for you. Just saw a video of the gentleman in the video for the 1st time. He is very drill orientated.

- Hip Hinge and Posture in Hitting

I like this guy. A lot of drills and a lot of training aides to do them though.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TBH I am not seeing his pre pitch actions.. the pitch is already on the way. I think his pre pitch actions mean very little, unless its some completely ridiculous stance. First thing I would suggest to this young man is to be a little lighter on the front foot.... stop lunging. I'm not saying pre toe touch/heel plant actions are not important.. what I am saying is the posture that determines bat path is established at toe touch/heel plant, determines bat path.. if you maintain that posture through out your swing you will be in good shape. Batters stance is just style.. stand tall, stick your butt out, put your hands two feet above your head (exaggerating) .. who cares unless you 1. get to a good FYB position.. 2. establish good posture in relation to pitch location, 3. Maintain this posture throughout your swing.. IMO, at a high level that's 90% of the swing mechanically speaking. If you can get a kid to perfect that, they will be in good shape.. mechanically speaking

Yea, I know but the actions are there.. Its what allows for a balanced sequence..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi