POSTURE – definition – examples – drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
What is Mike saying here? On top no matter where the pitch is?

You just agreed the waist bends ... but you don't believe the hitter tries to bend the waist..it's a result. You believe bending at the waist is the result of staying tall and chopping down on a ball... that's a ,major contradiction. These demos from the pros are isolating hand path.. hand path without FYB and posture. Please don't tell me you believe this is Trouts barrel path in his game swing?

May 12, 2016
I know the Trout clip isn’t his normal swing on low pitches. He killed Felix Hernandez because he pitched at the knees, right where Trout’s posture/swing plane is set.

Can’t say this was her normal swing at a low pitch.
IMO Trout's posture/plane is not "set".. it's the result of where the pitch is located. Some hitters like the low pitch, some high.. hot zones. Every hitter has them.. but it's not the result of a preset posture... good luck making it to the majors with a preset posture, let alone being a successful hitter like Trout.

My apologies if I am misunderstanding you

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You just agreed the waist bends ... but you don't believe the hitter tries to bend the waist..it's a result. You believe bending at the waist is the result of staying tall and chopping down on a ball... that's a ,major contradiction. These demos from the pros are isolating hand path.. hand path without FYB and posture. Please don't tell me you believe this is Trouts barrel path in his game swing?

that’s not what I said. I said the legs,hips, feet and hands play a role there.

I have already explained the ‘tilt’ is after launch. Yes mike is straight down. Here’s my kid hitting a low pitch being straight down to while staying tall. It’s real. Notice the tilt follow the hands

1592701439445.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

I have already explained the ‘tilt’ is after launch. Yes mike is straight down. Here’s my kid hitting a low pitch being straight down to while staying tall. It’s real. Notice the tilt follow the hands

View attachment 18348
Nice stroke. That's what should be done to something thigh high down the pipe. (y)

May 12, 2016

View attachment 18348
The butt, core just to add a few more. Now explain how all these things can be involved while extracting the torso from the process. That’s for you to think about, not for me, idc what causes the waist to bend.. the fact is it bends.

I support the body supporting the hands... not the body reacting to the hands. Again that sounds a lot like what Some or the TTB’ers say. If the body is in position to support the hands, then the hitter can adapt much better. That’s Why it’s important to create appropriate posture which is relative to pitch location... which is what we see in the side by sides I posted.

Feb 25, 2020
I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced... but I know it when I see it ..

-Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's remarks in regards to posture, 1964.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I can stand tall(straight back and no bend in my knees), with the bat on my shoulders, completely relaxed and achieve the ideal FYB position. All that matters is during the negative to positive move all the way to toe touch/heel plant I am doing things right. What happens prior to that(the gather) has 0 affect on me getting to FYB

And yes I have and I guarantee you every hitter on the planet has

Well maybe you did it naturally.. I spent hours over the years perfecting this dynamic fyb position...

c30mmxd.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The butt, core just to add a few more. Now explain how all these things can be involved while extracting the torso from the process. That’s for you to think about, not for me, idc what causes the waist to bend.. the fact is it bends.

I support the body supporting the hands... not the body reacting to the hands. Again that sounds a lot like what Some or the TTB’ers say. If the body is in position to support the hands, then the hitter can adapt much better. That’s Why it’s important to create appropriate posture which is relative to pitch location... which is what we see in the side by sides I posted.

not extracting the core. It’s just not active. You don’t bend down. The hips will flex more, the legs will bend more. I said all this already. You don’t bend down for a low pitch it’s adds slack. The way Mike describes it ‘down to’ is how I teach it. Stay tall, let the legs guide you. Same as Ted W describes it. BH is staying tall here. No posture change.

1592707445025.gif

May 12, 2016
Well maybe you did it naturally.. I spent hours over the years perfecting this dynamic fyb position...

c30mmxd.gif
What are we talking about here.. the action of getting to FYB.. or what occurs before one starts that process. What I mean by process is, the gather/negative move.. the forward/positive move into toe touch/heel plant. Now that have defined the specifics, can you please explain these pre pitch movements that occur before the negative move.

I can assure you that by standing tall and doing absolutely nothing prior to the negative move I can get to a FYB position. Batters stance is a style.. and what I mean by batters stance is what occurs before the FYB sequence initiates. Batters stance is a no teach unless they are doing something funky, what matters is getting to FYB in time. JMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802