Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2012
Texas
I truly hope something is done about this. I hate to see dirty plays like this in my opinion something should happen to the catcher, the coach, and the blue all 3 have some kinda fault in this. Lets be honest getting hit like that could cause serious injury to a runner. The blue letting it slide blows my mind as well. I mean i get talked to by blues all the time if my girls are accidentally too close to the base/plate when there is no play. I have never taught my girls to get in the base runner way to slow them down from rounding for the simple fact that its too risky for leg injuries and not worth risking my girls like that.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I totally understand. In the internet age, snippets of video taken out of context can be very misleading that is why I asked. But I respect the fact you do not want to fuel the fire. I just know things can seem totally different when put in the proper context. Having said that, without that context those snippets look VERY bad.

Yeah I know...when I first saw the video, I didn't realize who it was. All I could think was "If that were my dd getting elbowed...what would I have done??" and "I can't figure out how those actions could be justified no matter how provoked." It is very upsetting for me, and I am learning a WHOLE lot about how vicious social media is. This is too close to home for me. Just wondering how practice will be this week.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
"Huffman baserunner Kylie George, center, gets an elbow from Needville catcher Megan Crosby as she tries to score in the bottom of the 5th inning of their Class 4A UIL Softball State Championship final at McCombs Field in Austin on Saturday, June 6, 2015"
-as quoted in the Houston Chronicle.

In case any future coaches want to put a name with a face.

Wow, did they put a picture of it in the newspaper and call her out?

Jan 24, 2009

There was a photo. I copied and pasted the caption from the Chronicle's website directly, but added the underline in the post here.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Yep. That is exactly what they did. It is a great example for others that you own your actions at all times. This young lady put her name on this and at least for now it is her legacy.

Oct 3, 2009
Yeah I know...when I first saw the video, I didn't realize who it was. All I could think was "If that were my dd getting elbowed...what would I have done??" and "I can't figure out how those actions could be justified no matter how provoked." It is very upsetting for me, and I am learning a WHOLE lot about how vicious social media is. This is too close to home for me. Just wondering how practice will be this week.

Social media is brutal. I played football and I on more than one occasion did things I was not proud of. In one particular not proud moment of my college football career I threw an interception. On the return I looked for the closest defensive player with his head turned and I launched helmet first into him on a blindside hit. I could argue it was a very chippy game that the refs let get a little out of control but that is no excuse. He left the game with a concussion. And if that was caught on video in today's social media age I would have likely been crucified. I would like to think that moment was not indicative of the type of person I was and am or the type of player I was.

I hope we all think about that as we sit in judgement of these players. Have we ever done anything in the heat of competition that we would take back if we could?

Feb 7, 2013
But on a positive note, exposing plays like this will make players and coaches think twice about resorting to this type of behavior in the future. It's one thing to hear about a dirty play(s), its another to actually see it in action. I'm hoping some good will come out of this for all involved?

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
As I said, I am not going to fuel the fire. She doesn't deserve this rap.

I'm sorry, but she most certainly does. SHE did this. SHE'S getting a rap based off HER actions. What's wrong with getting called out for your actions? Just because we know and probably care about someone, doesn't change the action. If she was coached to do this, she didn't have to follow through with it.

I don't need any context. The video shows 100% that this was a completely bush league play. As far as social media goes, she got caught and is reaping what she sowed. That's completely fine with me. This wasn't slowing a player down type thing, this was brutal. Either one of those girls she ambushed could have been hurt.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Ty Cobb had his own way of handling these situations.

EDIT: Not that I approve of some of the things Cobb did (although I gather his reputation was greatly exaggerated by his biographer), just that dirty play often begets dirty play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877