Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Social media is brutal. I played football and I on more than one occasion did things I was not proud of. In one particular not proud moment of my college football career I threw an interception. On the return I looked for the closest defensive player with his head turned and I launched helmet first into him on a blindside hit. I could argue it was a very chippy game that the refs let get a little out of control but that is no excuse. He left the game with a concussion. And if that was caught on video in today's social media age I would have likely been crucified. I would like to think that moment was not indicative of the type of person I was and am or the type of player I was.

I hope we all think about that as we sit in judgement of these players. Have we ever done anything in the heat of competition that we would take back if we could?

I understand what you are saying. I think the fact that she did this TWICE is very telling. Do you believe you would have speared a guy if you threw another INT in that game?

Jun 22, 2008
The unsportsmanlike actions seem to be a team theme. There is a longer 4 minute games highlights video which shows #2 on the blue team doing a pretty good takeout slide on the catcher.

Feb 3, 2011
A person can be "nice" and still be a dirty player. Let's not assume that the 2 are always mutually exclusive. In the 1st instance, it appears she's bracing for impact. In the 2nd, it appears she's bracing to deliver a blow of her own. The thing I dislike about deliberately dirty plays is that they're inherently dangerous to not only the recipient, but also to the original perpetrator if a victim or teammate should choose to retaliate. As a catcher, she's in a position where someone might elect to take her out below the knees or to take a swipe at her mitt with their bat. While I never want to see any athlete injured, no matter how crappy a sport they may be, there are those who might seek that form of retribution.

I will say, however, that - based on this snippet alone - I'm glad the other team won the title.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It would be interesting to see if there are any repercussions to the umps for missing the dirty play over and over again. The Blue (not ump) team may very well have the eyes of every ump in the state on them next season. Anything even borderline could lead to some ejections.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
That sport is officiated by the participants, who make their own line calls, opening up another avenue for youth-sports drama. How about swimming?

I am a stroke and turn official for the neighborhood swim team. VERY little training for the officials who can disqualify a swimmer for any number of reasons.....that being said, I have seen far less drama in "rec" swimming than I have ever seen in my softball days.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Assuming from a previous post that the catcher has a scholarship pending, if she loses that scholarship we'll know this meant something. If not, then some college coaches are apparently OK with thuggery (hell, we already know that).

The pitcher and catcher from Cal Cruisers that beaned the blue on purpose - I recall they both had scholarships - does anyone know if they lost them? I heard (but I don't know) that nothing happened to them or the coach.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
You don't DQ enough 8u on their Breast strokes.:eek:

I am pretty hard a$$ and DQ my fair share for sure. Most 8s don't want my lane for breast for fly....last meet, it was an entire 11 - 12 relay team - one kid missed the wall on the free flip turn - as in no touch at all...sigh...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad