Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Have any of you seen this?
[video=youtube_share;YO5l4J6TRkE]http://youtu.be/YO5l4J6TRkE[/video]

Runner coming into home standing up, catcher standing in front of the plate, and as the runner comes by the catcher, she drops her shoulder into the runner, knocking her off feet and missing the plate. Catcher does not have the ball. She did this twice in the same game with no call by the ump.

This has been coached to the catcher. I understand using every possible advantage but this just seems very wrong.

Lots of coaches teach this. It is particularly prevalent at 10U and 12U, where field players like the 1B sill stand on the base to slow the girl down or stop her from rounding the base properly on balls that look to be hit for extra bases, or the 3B who will block the base path so a girl can't score from second on a single. In fact, off the top of my head I could give you half a dozen names of coaches who teach this and could give you half a dozen more if I thought about it for a few minutes.

This one was pretty brutal, though. Blue didn't catch the first one but he did see enough that he should have been suspecting something was wrong. It sure looked like he should have seen the second one. Catcher and coach should have been ejected.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Blocking the bag for the turn is understandable. It's surly not the same as decleating a runner and getting away with it, twice. I agree player and coach ejection.

This is from Texas HS championship games.

May 24, 2015
GA
Whoa!! I must be naive (still just in 8U here) but I found that to be really shocking. I can't believe they can get away with that. I understand being competitive but that was just wrong, IMO.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't eject the runner. If you wanted to make a point I guess you could.

I didn't watch long enough to see the 2nd one, C needs to be tossed. 1st one I thought was OK.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
The athletic district where this occurs needs to look into this. If this kid is a senior not much you can do, but if not they should ban her from next season. There is no place in the game for this. Once could have been an accident, but you could just see she does it all the time. If there is any tie in to the coach he needs to be suspended too.

The athletic district where this occurs needs to look into this. If this kid is a senior not much you can do, but if not they should ban her from next season. There is no place in the game for this. Once could have been an accident, but you could just see she does it all the time. If there is any tie in to the coach he needs to be suspended too.
There has to be a tie-in to the coach. He not only allowed it the first time, but was OK with leaving her in and having her do it a second time.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Going to put my foot in my mouth now as I am very uncomfortable reading this. We know the catcher...as a matter of fact, she is on our travel ball team. She is a VERY sweet young lady, great player...and I have NEVER seen her do this in all the games we have watched her play (in travel ball, that is). I don't know whole story...just bits and pieces...but I am not going to fuel the already lit fire. Just going to say she is a a great young lady and player, and that I have not seen her display this behavior ever. Not that it matters...guessing the damage is done. :(

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK, the first one the runner was going to run her over. 2nd one might have been a reaction to that. I do not understand how the coach gets sucked into this conversation.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Unbelievable ... so wrong at any level ... you certainly wouldn't get away with that in an MLB game. I hope the team scoring the 2 runs won ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi