Poor sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2013
Lots of coaches teach this. It is particularly prevalent at 10U and 12U, where field players like the 1B sill stand on the base to slow the girl down or stop her from rounding the base properly on balls that look to be hit for extra bases, or the 3B who will block the base path so a girl can't score from second on a single. In fact, off the top of my head I could give you half a dozen names of coaches who teach this and could give you half a dozen more if I thought about it for a few minutes.QUOTE]

I know of coaches in younger divisions that taught this as well. Nothing like teaching kids to play the wrong way! If you are ASA they have changed the rules to discourage this. There used to be a "about to receive" notation in the rule for those blocking a bag or plate. That rule was very subjective and has been removed. Now you cannot stand on or block the base without the ball period. A lot more obstruction calls being made here in so cal.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Catcher should be suspended for half of next season, or maybe be forced to play footbal for half a season! That is dirty dirty play. Im sure she regrets doing it.....now.

I though I read that she was a senior this season.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Lots of coaches teach this. It is particularly prevalent at 10U and 12U, where field players like the 1B sill stand on the base to slow the girl down or stop her from rounding the base properly on balls that look to be hit for extra bases, or the 3B who will block the base path so a girl can't score from second on a single. In fact, off the top of my head I could give you half a dozen names of coaches who teach this and could give you half a dozen more if I thought about it for a few minutes.

I know of coaches in younger divisions that taught this as well. Nothing like teaching kids to play the wrong way! If you are ASA they have changed the rules to discourage this. There used to be a "about to receive" notation in the rule for those blocking a bag or plate. That rule was very subjective and has been removed. Now you cannot stand on or block the base without the ball period. A lot more obstruction calls being made here in so cal.

Around here the obstruction seems to be due to inexperience of players and some umps. A few days ago DD 3 was obstructed at first in a rec league game where the 1B probably didn't know any better. Neither did the rec league ump. No call.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Obstruction is one thing, giving an unsuspecting runner a cold shoulder or forearm shiver is a cowardly act. Reminds me of that 'knockout game' I saw on the news where teens in the hood would cheap shot some poor guy walking down the street. Same mentality.

My daughter was playing 1st when the batter hit one through the 5-6. As the runner took her hard turn, she noticed my daughter wasnt paying attention and brushed up against her. The runner flopped on the ground, rolling a few times and immediately looked to the umpire for the call. She got it. The ball was already on the infield and if the runner tried to advance she would have been out by a mile. But the umpire gave her the base. The runner did what she was taught. She looked for contact in order to help her team win but didnt hurt anyone. Clean play.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Ms. Crosby's 15 minutes appear to be up. The media focus has moved on to other earth shattering news, such as LeBron James' clothing and the ethnicity of a NAACP official. Soon something else will take away the media focus. Perhaps a Kardashian will wear an outrageous outfit.

I hope people leave this catcher alone to take her lumps and hopefully come out of this a better player in every way. I also really hope someone tracks down the people who made threats against her. Is Curt Schilling available?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I hope they catch the folk who were threatening the catcher and prosecute them. As punishment for the threats they should be blindsided with a shoulder while running full speed.

Hopefully the two actual victims of violence are ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi