Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
"Look Mom, no hands".
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I'm not FFS but, I believe he may have been pointing out that your DD doesn't use her hands.
yxnWHw.gif

Your DD places the bat on top of her shoulder and then spins her body towards to ball. Almost like the 'Torque drill. Except the bat isn't against her shoulder.
If I had to guess I believe FFS would like your DD to 'turn the barrel to the ball' with her hands.

Apr 26, 2014
I'm not FFS but, I believe he may have been pointing out that your DD doesn't use her hands.
yxnWHw.gif

Your DD places the bat on top of her shoulder and then spins her body towards to ball. Almost like the 'Torque drill. Except the bat isn't against her shoulder.
If I had to guess I believe FFS would like your DD to 'turn the barrel to the ball' with her hands.

Ok, thanks. I will try and figure out what that consists of.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
GBrett4.gif

Brett's bat doesn't follow his shoulders rotation 'around' his body. Brett uses his hands and swings 'out from' his body.
I used Brett because he lays his bat on his shoulders like your DD does but, he uses his hands to 'turn the barrel to the ball'.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
My DD really struggled with "big squish" and feeling the sequence when we started making swing changes at age 9. This drill was the best one we did that helped her get the feel of not squishing the bug. Tell her to actually throw the bat down right baseline.

[video=youtube_share;VsI7jYpHqsY]http://youtu.be/VsI7jYpHqsY[/video]

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My DD really struggled with "big squish" and feeling the sequence when we started making swing changes at age 9. This drill was the best one we did that helped her get the feel of not squishing the bug. Tell her to actually throw the bat down right baseline.

[video=youtube_share;VsI7jYpHqsY]http://youtu.be/VsI7jYpHqsY[/video]

I like the idea of throwing the bat and used to have players do that when I was coaching 10U and 12U. However, I will caution that when younger kids throw stuff (bats, can lids, frisbees), they tend to let the back elbow get ahead of their hands, which might encourage bat drag. Gotta be careful w/ that, IMO.

Apr 26, 2014
GBrett4.gif

Brett's bat doesn't follow his shoulders rotation 'around' his body. Brett uses his hands and swings 'out from' his body.
I used Brett because he lays his bat on his shoulders like your DD does but, he uses his hands to 'turn the barrel to the ball'.

I guess I just don't get the turning the barrel thing. I thought she was moving in the right direction on the last swing I posted. Guess we will take break until we figure this out so I don't make it worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole