Poor balance? Swing issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Forget back dragging the back foot/getting on/up to the rear foot toe. Point the feet straight towards the plate/tee. You might be surprised what that little adjustment might do for the rear leg. Keep the rear leg stable. Don't turn it back with the coil. I don't like 'working' on bottom/top separately but, get the bottom right first. Read threads and watch video/gifs on the proper rear leg usage. Tape the carpet down so it doesn't slip.
Since it seems you are press for time this might get you on your middle school team.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5027-megan-1-tee.html
Read this thread.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2014
Having a little trouble getting the feel for the coil but moving forward.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Having a little trouble getting the feel for the coil but moving forward.

That may take awhile. Not a natural move for most. Good drill for that is the stork drill. Stand on the back leg to hit off tee. Feet, knees pointing forward. Have her coil and uncoil as she falls/strides forward. Make sure she doesn't cheat and coil/cock her leg before she begins the fall. Coil forward.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A few things I'm seeing...

Rear foot (as mentioned by RDB) - Her starting stance should have the rear foot pointed either straight ahead (perpendicular to the line of the pitch), or even toed slightly towards the pitcher. This will help enable a better coil and hip turn. Along with this, keep the rear knee inside the rear ankle.

Stride - Watch where her front foot starts and lands. It takes an outward path, stepping slightly away from the line of the pitch. This appears to be a possible contributor to her balance issue. As I mentioned before, the "kick drill" with a 1-foot finish may help her feel how to control her body balance better. In this case, the drill is not about swing mechanics, but about feeling balance.

Rug (also mentioned by RDB) - The rug she is standing on is sliding around quite a bit. This can't be helping the situation.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My 11yr old DD just finished All Stars and still trying to tweak swing. Will be facing a pitching machine for middle school tryouts on Tuesday which will be considerably faster that the pitching speeds she has seen so far. She is finishing falling forward sometimes which I caught in this video and she isn't sure why. Also, any tips for hitting off pitching machines? Swing thoughts? Many thanks!

This swing can pretty much be summed up with this quote ....... "Look Mom, no hands".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole