*POLL~ COACHES~ How would you like this get handled...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Handle issue by

• 1. Umpire come to Coach about it first.

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • 2. Umpire speaks to parent/fan first.

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you umpires for your feedback on this!

✔Come to me coach first please. Much prefer opportunity to handle situation. Relieve any pressure on the blue. Gives me opportunity to BE aware of situation. Cant always hear chiming while coaching.

✔As an umpire have gone to coach first.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
"Coach, I need you to get your sidelines under control - consider this their warning through you. Next time, I'm sending them myself." I usually let them handle it from there, and at the HS/travel level, I haven't had any issues doing it this way.

At the LL level, on the other hand, it's usually the star player's parent who is chirping too much, and it doesn't often work that they listen to the coach, so when I send them to the parking lot (and the kid, by proxy, gets embarassed), the message is usually received. I've never intentionally looked for a reason to eject a parent whatsoever - they do enough good on their own.
2 years ago coaching 18u. umpire pointed at me on the field down at the third base coaches box and said something similar to what your post is.
That it will be on me/coach if it happens again...u would be ejected.
I said loudly back to the Umpire
' thank you so much for letting me know. I will take care of that.'
In-between innings before walking back to the dugout went around the outside of the fence and approached the parent sitting in the stands. Sat next to them quietly & calmly said to them
'did you hear what the umpire said? I will be removed from coaching the team if you chime again.'
The entire rest of the bleachers turned and stared him down and it stopped.

Sometimes subtle and calm really has a great presence.

i notice when somebody is yelling at an Umpire they're generally already agitated or Beyond some sort of reasonable boundary. When somebody else then yells back often just creating more yelling by adding fuel to a fire.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@pattar and more importantly the umpires

I said Thankyou to the umpires for their feedback.
Because i should have included them also in this question poll!

Jun 8, 2016
pattar sometimes you just come across as a jerk.
Your snarky bs has diluted your reponses.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was going for always but sometimes will have to do I guess.

Don't really care what anybody thinks about my responses tbh..I don't come here for affirmation.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
As an umpire I will be going to the coach or other authority first and last. I have ZERO authority outside of the field of play. Even if I were to TRY to eject a fan/parent, what is my recourse if they refuse? Well, I do have 1 option, forfeit of the game. So, IF I can determine with certainty which team the parent/fan belongs to, I can go to that coach and threaten that, but once I threaten it I need to be willing to back it up. If I can't determine which team the offender 'belongs' to then I have to forfeit against the home team since they are the ones responsible for crowd control.

This becomes an issue at tournaments, who is the home team? Does this fan/parent even belong to one of the two teams playing this game?

Crowd control is NOT AN UMPIRE ISSUE. Coaches, deal with it before we even have to think about dealing with it, you really won't like the limited choice of tools we have.

Mar 10, 2020
Our High School Coaches are not suported by the presence of the administration.
The coach has the only power over loud mouths. Playing time. Not perfect but it works.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...So, IF I can determine with certainty which team the parent/fan belongs to,...
Does this happen often where you've got a loudmouth but you're not certain which team they're with? In my mind at least, someone's crying is going to be decidedly one side or the other. I guess I can see it being more difficult to pinpoint the culprit in a larger crowd.