Those BIG NAME tb coaches and playing for them.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
RIco = Guru
Stith = Technician
Tyson = Belittling Drill Seargent (that's being nice) Almost all his underling coaches are cut from the same cloth.

I am taking a hybrid of Rico and Stith. I see no reason to scream and belittle while communicating or modivating and would never want my DD to become accustomed to such behavior. I made this point to a friend and his justifying response was, "but if you notice he really doesn't scream at his top players." Somehow that just seems worse to me.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a point within this post that while people may pick different teams than eachother, doesn't mean the other choice they didn't pick is a terrible Choice. It just means it wasn't a fit for their family.

To an extent think there are a lot of families and players that bounce from team to team trying to find something that's perfect.
But the reality is
Somewhere with- in choices is having to be flexible or tolerant about something.

*** there may be players/parents on each of the top teams who don't specifically like the coach or prefer that type of coaching. However recognizing their goal is softball. And the goal of college ball.
Reality is,
There is going to be things in college that may not be your preference,
so learning how to be flexible or tolerant can be useful skills.
Managing ourselves skills.

It can happen,
The college a player may end up at
may have a coach they do not like.
* that doesn't mean it's a bad coach.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is a point within this post that while people may pick different teams than eachother, doesn't mean the other choice they didn't pick is a terrible Choice. It just means it wasn't a fit for their family.

To an extent think there are a lot of families and players that bounce from team to team trying to find something that's perfect.
But the reality is
Somewhere with- in choices is having to be flexible or tolerant about something.

*** there may be players/parents on each of the top teams who don't specifically like the coach or prefer that type of coaching. However recognizing their goal is softball. And the goal of college ball.
Reality is,
There is going to be things in college that may not be your preference,
so learning how to be flexible or tolerant can be useful skills.
Managing ourselves skills.

It can happen,
The college a player may end up at
may have a coach they do not like.
* that doesn't mean it's a bad coach.
But there are bad college coaches too! Right? I my opinion, screaming and belittling coaches are not just a different style to coaching. It is bad coaching, period. Almost all the great coaches do not yell and belittle or intimidate. They instruct, encourage and have a relationship with their players.
It is a goal for my DD to play college ball but will not play for a bad coach to get there, BECAUSE there are better choices. Working hard now will give you more choices later.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
But there are bad college coaches too! Right? I my opinion, screaming and belittling coaches are not just a different style to coaching. It is bad coaching, period. Almost all the great coaches do not yell and belittle or intimidate. They instruct, encourage and have a relationship with their players.
It is a goal for my DD to play college ball but will not play for a bad coach to get there, BECAUSE there are better choices. Working hard now will give you more choices later.

Myself would not pick yeller mean person who is negative.
Regardless of the status of their team.

However think there is something to be said for being able to learn how to deal with personalities and coaching styles. The opportunity to be on a team with a good coach there may be a learning and developing experience in that is actually a life skill. Like having a great job but a terrible coworker. Learn how to adapt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00