Those BIG NAME tb coaches and playing for them.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In another thread someone commented on some big-name travel ball coaches
Rico, Tyson and Stith =Top 18u coaches
( add others you may know to the list)

They seem to all get thrown into the same basket as each other. With comments like greedy or controlling. Including other sentiments that may not be so nice. Yet these coaches continue.

Really, These above-mentioned coaches each have different personalities and styles as to how they coach.
From the appearance of calm and collected on the field, sort of quiet, to overly controlling loud and abrasive. And, Year after year they accumulate outstanding athletes and are a very helpful stepping stone for players. People look forward to the opportunity to play for these teams.

Like it or leave it everybody has a choice.
But not everybody gets an opportunity to play on one of those top teams.

If you could play at the top~
What personality coaching Style would you hope to pick if you could pick a top team?
*What would you put up with for a spot?
* Would it make a difference if it was a top team spot or would you avoid a top team just because you couldn't tolerate something?

Simply asking this
*Because when looking for a team
just might have to be flexible about something and tolerate something else.

What would those things be?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Dd played for a yeller. 16’s and 18’s. He thought he saw things he didn’t really see. He sometimes made players cry.

I was an assistant coach on the team. I liked the coach. He was very experienced but it was hard for me to take how hard he could be on players.

He made some players much better but I always wondered if it was worth the cost.

DD later told me (years later) he was her favorite coach and those were her favorite teams to play on.

I‘m not advocating that kind of coaching. Not my style for sure. Most coaches can’t pull it off. I just don’t think we always know what is best for us.

Dec 11, 2010
The only person allowed to yell or instigate umpires was him! Some days I felt like I was undermining him by acting like a decent human being, lol!

Jun 8, 2016
Being a good coach is partly being a good psychiatrist. Some kids need you to kick them in the rear when they make a mistake (not literally..although I think my college coach may have actually done that to me..) while other kids just need you to tell them to trust their training and go get the next one.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I think those three coaches you named have enough of a track record that prospective top D1 players need them more than the other way around. Still, there's a limit somewhere to what any individual should accept. I watch a fair amount of D1 softball up close...sometimes close enough to hear what coaches at top schools are telling players between innings. There are sometimes benchings and a$$-chewings, but I don't ever hear anyone screaming or using abusive language as a teaching tool. I don't think most players will put up with that anymore and will vote with their feet. Nothing wrong with a top-level TB coach holding a top-level player accountable for their preparation and performance. It's going to happen once they get on that D1 college team.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think those three coaches you named have enough of a track record that prospective top D1 players need them more than the other way around.
Hmmm? 🤔
That looks like a good discussion topic...
True or False?

However it also implies that there is a benefit to playing on one of these top teams. Brings up the purpose for this post
~ in what ways would people be flexible or tolerate if they could earn a spot on one of these teams, or not.

Jun 8, 2016
However it also implies that there is a benefit to playing on one of these top teams. Brings up the purpose for this post
~ in what ways would people be flexible or tolerate if they could earn a spot on one of these teams, or not.
Back then I would have played for whoever if I thought it was the best place I could play. However knowing what I know now about myself now, it would have been a disaster had the man/woman been a screamer..I had two coaches like that (one in basketball and one in baseball), both situations ended up with me quitting because I was miserable (in both cases I was getting plenty of PT)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
For the players that are looking to play on these top teams there's probably a much greater percentage of those that definitely want to play softball in college.

Having known players who have played for one or more of these top coaches. It can help players figure out what they can tolerate and what they can be flexible about. At the same time as being on a roster with other highly competitive players.

While still developing mindset and enjoying participating in softball.

Perhaps The means to the end goal result= preparation for college ball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
These coaches pretty much have the ears of top D1 coaches around the country and their teams are pipelines to those schools. In every region across the country there are teams that have similar relationships but don't get the same notirarity as mentioned in the OP. They also send players to major D1 programs.

DD's former TB coach could be fiery at times, and former players said that he had mellowed out alot before he stepped away. He sent many, many players to top D1 teams around the country. When he wanted to get a point a across to a player he talked to them face to face and didn't raise his voice. But during games he would get loud when needed. His program was small, but well respected. He said that he only wanted to coach his Gold team and not manage a league (multiple teams). He was old school and didn't promote his teams via social media, didn't have fancy uniforms, which hurt with recruiting in his last years. Didn't travel in the fall but played in the best events against the best teams. He would normally have 80 players show up to tryouts in years prior but the numbers dwindled. He primarily recruited through word of mouth.

If he wanted a college coach to look at one of his players, they would show up. That is what you need if you want a leg up in the recruiting process. If you want and can play at the highest level, these are the teams you need to get on. Some of these bigger programs have multiple 18U teams and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams are geared for lower tier programs. Mid majors, D2, D3 Juco.

Find the best fit for your DD and the family.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi