🙂 HAVE TO bring this up about defensive plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree, that is not the best way to run that play. When the SS receives the ball from the catcher in a 1st and 3rd situation, it is difficult for the SS to get their feet into a good throwing position to throw the ball to 3rd or home. Also, it difficult for the SS to see the play happening. That cut should be taken by the 2nd baseman.

The only reason I can see throwing that ball to the SS is that the 2nd baseman has a terrible arm.

I do agree that a good catcher should be able to make the correct decision based on different variables. Gaining that skill set takes a lot of experience, and a good mental makeup, which is not always easy to find.
Not only that but it sounds like they were throwing to the actual location where the SS normally plays..hence my comment about reading the throw (along with the 10u comment..lol)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
From what I teach, the SS is in a line directly with the second base bag and I've never had an SS so unathletic that they could not read that and know whether to throw home or to 3B. Also, in this defense, the 3B is the one in charge. They call out the cut. If the cut doesn't happen, 2B has the bag and the throw goes through. As stated, a good runner will see the cut and they will retreat to 3B in order to not get thrown out by the cut. We ( my teams run different defenses per the speed of the runners at 3B and 1B. We have the catcher catch the ball with what appears to be an attempt to throw down. Then, they switch their feet and throw to 3B. In this defense, 3B has walked backward toward 3rd and created a throwing lane for the ball to travel. We use the SS as mentioned. We also have a play where our 2B walks forward and is about a foot behind the baseline and a couple of steps up the middle. If the runner is slower, the 2B can catch the ball and tag the runner before the runner from 3B can score. We have a play where the pitcher is the cut for times when the runner at 3B gets a huge lead.

Most of the 2Bs I have coached at the HS level are SS on their summer teams and so, have the arm.

Rad, you didn't answer my question about where the 3B was positioned. Were they back with runners on 1st and 3rd? Were they up? Good baserunners are taught to not get beyond 3B's position to prevent the snap throw to 3B. This all I've got for you. I'll defer for the rest of this thread. I'm an ex expert.

Jun 8, 2016
Rad, you didn't answer my question about where the 3B was positioned. Were they back with runners on 1st and 3rd? Were they up? Good baserunners are taught to not get beyond 3B's position to prevent the snap throw to 3B. This all I've got for you. I'll defer for the rest of this thread. I'm an ex expert.
3B was back she said (Post #5)

Dec 11, 2010
I like the play where catcher pops and fires a high rifle shot back to p with ss cutting across.

The ball is then in the circle and runner at 3 has to begin to return to 3.

At older ages you can add options. Takes a c confident in her throwing and an athletic p for this to work.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
3B was back she said (Post #5)
I did see that. However, the term back is vague. For so many teams, "back" is somewhere between 3B and the plate but about what I call a "2." IOWs, two full steps forward toward the plate. If my players are playing a "1." they are 1 full step in front of the bag. If they are "behind the bag," my players know that they have the freedom to determine how many steps back they are playing and due to the hitter at the plate. BTW, if I say that they are "in the triangle," my 3B gets to determine where to play in an imaginary triangle shape to take away a slap. Well, I said I'd leave this thread and so, ...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With a runner only on 1st.
Ask this question.

If you as a coach called a pitch out and the runner only took a puny small lead off.
( visibly smaller lead off then previous and small for any lead off)
( probability for getting out almost non-existant)
Would you still want your catcher to throw to 1st?
Or
Allowed to make determination not throw?

Asking that question because we know there are times we see players making throws that are unnecessary.
'want to get the lead Runner out in every situation we can.'

Question~
In a possible double-play situation do you want your defense to just automatically throw it to second base?
or do you want them to make a determination on whether or not they shouldn't throw to second because they see the runner being safe already and go ahead and throw to first?!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
From what I teach, the SS is in a line directly with the second base bag and I've never had an SS so unathletic that they could not read that and know whether to throw home or to 3B. Also, in this defense, the 3B is the one in charge. They call out the cut. If the cut doesn't happen, 2B has the bag and the throw goes through. As stated, a good runner will see the cut and they will retreat to 3B in order to not get thrown out by the cut. We ( my teams run different defenses per the speed of the runners at 3B and 1B. We have the catcher catch the ball with what appears to be an attempt to throw down. Then, they switch their feet and throw to 3B. In this defense, 3B has walked backward toward 3rd and created a throwing lane for the ball to travel. We use the SS as mentioned. We also have a play where our 2B walks forward and is about a foot behind the baseline and a couple of steps up the middle. If the runner is slower, the 2B can catch the ball and tag the runner before the runner from 3B can score. We have a play where the pitcher is the cut for times when the runner at 3B gets a huge lead.

Most of the 2Bs I have coached at the HS level are SS on their summer teams and so, have the arm.

Defer if you like,
No foul having a discussion about strategies.

First and third play described in post~
Ball thrown to ss standing at the shortstop position and did not move.
about the third baseman being back
( thought somewhere read you didn't know where the third baseman was playing she could have been up for the bunt.)
Replied~The third baseman was back. (Not close for a bunt.) Also commented the third baseman could have gotten out at third. Thought that was implying enough she was in position to take a throw but I understand clarification.

In @cannonballs strategy,
( like it and commonly used by teams)
Throwing straight through to second base while there is a runner approaching second base makes sense because there is a possible play going on there.
with cut off option.
(Is not the same as throwing the ball to a position where there is no play makes no sense.)

*Throwing straight through to second base with the option of second base cutting it off or letting go through to short stop at 2nd is also an
'option play' that can be decided in the moment 'by the players making a decision' whether or not f4 wants to cut it off or let it go through.
*Visual decision pending what runners are doing!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott