Please list the top bad habits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2009
Not 10 but, with my dd, walking thru pitch, not staying tall, not getting open enough, swimming with glove, twisting push off foot rather than pushing straight off.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
#1 Flipping of the pony tail over the left shoulder. (See Florida Gator alum Stacy Nelson).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I absolutely can't stand the "forward bend", as seen by Monica Abbott.

Continually bending at the waste will result, eventually, in an injury to the pitcher. Of course, I believe that softball players aren't exempt from the laws of physics. I'm in the minority, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
My top 3 that I see done all the time.

Leaping
Crowhopping
Striding outside the pitching lane

The rest that some of my pitchers do...
Not getting fully open on the stride.
Not driving hard off the plate
closing the hips early
Not following through
Aiming pitches
Not staying tall
Short arming pitches

Mar 15, 2010
Taking more time in the glove adjusting for different pitches. I.e. always taking half second longer adjusting for change up grip than fastball.

Jan 27, 2010
redhotcoach, I like the ponytail thing and has its' advantages.It aggravates the batters and can get their mind on the pitcher and not hitting the ball. Not many batters like a confident cocky pitcher and may tense up tryng harder to hit the ball. (Advantage Pitcher) SoCalDad, the longer you take adjusting your grip, the longer the batter is standing in the box and the more anxious they get. Adjusting the grip also has the batter guessing what may be coming next.Cat Osterman is a grip adjuster and the batters are wondering what grip is she doing in her glove.(Advantage Pitcher)

Feb 9, 2009
My DD is 10. She had a pitching lesson with Hillhouse yesterday, and she came away with:
1. a BIG list of things to work on
2. a much better pitch
3. a new name: Mayor of Munchkinland..hehe

She never finishes her pitch. As soon as she releases, she pulls her arm back to her waist, like it's on recoil! He got her to relax and finish the arm motion.
She's a leaner...it's a habit she picked up when her control wasn't as good, and she was too focused on trying to PLACE the ball, rather than snap it in there.
She's also too open on too many pitches. We got a few GREAT drills for that one, and the light bulb went off!
She's USED to be a STUPID PITCHER. I say that because she couldn't tell you the reason why her pitches ended up where they did. She was schooled, and now she totally sees the mechanics of the pitch. Well, "totally" for a 10 year old...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Donkey kicks.

I like a pitcher that drags the back foot. It seems to keep the pitches lower.

(Oh, and you already know that glove slappers are my pet peeve.)