Please list the top bad habits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Tell them to brush the ear. Brush the belly button. Then touch the shoulder opposite of the ball hand. If they do that then they will follow through on their windmill.

Dana.

Brush the ear, brush the belly button, brush the hip, brush the thigh,,,,what else? If you put a bend in the elbow you wont be brushing the ear and belly button. Correct? It kind of brings the windmill circle right against the body. That circle needs to be a couple inches away from the body.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
1. Pitchers that warm up in the outfield, doing long toss for about 150 ft or so. GREAT BIG HIGH ARC to their throws. Then she starts the game and walks 4 or 5 because she cqant bring the ball down to the strike zone. OOOHHH, but that long toss looked REALLY impressive.

2. Pitchers that warm up on the side of the infield and warm up with all their movement pitches, so everyone can see them. Dont be dumb, warm up where they cant see you clearly.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2010
I too thought the leg slap was annoying, so I told DD not to do it since it didn't help the pitch and didn't help her be in a position to field a batted ball. All of a sudden I had a first time pitcher on my hand again! You would have thought I was asking her to pat her head and rub her belly at the same time. Thankfully PC was there to say "slap the thigh if you want - it doesn't change the pitch at all". So now DD does it all the time. If her thigh is red at the end of a game, it's her fault not mine.

For my DD the worst habbit she has are the emotional highs and lows of pitches. A strike gets a fist pump, a ball gets drooped shoulders. Don't get me started on a mistake a fielder makes, but it's not good!

Oct 22, 2009
Not flipping the ball
Crow hopping
Leaning over
Leaning forward
Too much or too little follow through
Not opening
Glove swimming
Not raising glove arm
Not bending drag leg
Dragging hard

Mar 15, 2010
Grunting ala Monica Seles during the pitch. Had a pitcher doing this during our second game on Saturday and it was just plain annoying.

Jan 27, 2010
Grunting ala Monica Seles during the pitch. Had a pitcher doing this during our second game on Saturday and it was just plain annoying.
Also a way for the pitcher to annoy batters. When you exert energy you need to exhale.(i.e.Weightlifters)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ok tojo, I can't help but rib you. PLEASE don't be mad, but your ideal pitcher.....flips her ponytail around, plays with the ball in her glove for an extra long time, then grunts or yells as she throws the pitch?

Jan 27, 2010
Ok tojo, I can't help but rib you. PLEASE don't be mad, but your ideal pitcher.....flips her ponytail around, plays with the ball in her glove for an extra long time, then grunts or yells as she throws the pitch?

Redhotcoach, you are correct.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
You forgot glove slapping. I don't know about batters but I know slappers annoy coaches.

I'm with you tojo. My daughter has developed the habit of holding her breath through the pitch. Everything I know about sports suggests you get better performance out of your body by exhaling during an explosive action. If throwing a pitch isn't explosive I don't know what is. If a girl makes some noise letting the air out when using her core muscles to excute the pitch...so be it.

Unfortunately, some parents and players have made her self conscious about making noises when she pitches, so...still holding her breath.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
My top three hardest habits to break: (in no particular order)

The glove slappers (I think this starts because they SAW someone else do it.)
Pointing the glove hand to first base instead of straight.
Replanting the drag foot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand