Please list the top bad habits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Have to agree with Amy. Donkey kicks, IMHO, are a leading factor to the forward lean, which is my highest rated bad habit for pitchers. A pitcher will never achieve her potential as long as she leans forward. Dragging the pivot foot helps keep the weight and shoulders back. Although this thread is in the pitching forum, my GREATEST pet peeve is running after a fly ball with the glove in the air! I have actually pulled a player from the game immediately following the play for that. I ask the girls to run full out, and not one holds her arm in the air. Ask a few to chase a fly ball just out over their head, and the glove goes up.......irritating.

Mar 15, 2010
... SoCalDad, the longer you take adjusting your grip, the longer the batter is standing in the box and the more anxious they get. Adjusting the grip also has the batter guessing what may be coming next.Cat Osterman is a grip adjuster and the batters are wondering what grip is she doing in her glove.(Advantage Pitcher)

A travel ball pitcher with 3 or 4 different pitches can create an advantage modifying the time it takes on grip selection. A rec ball pitcher who has 2 pitches, fastball and changeup, and ALWAYS takes longer when selecting the CU grip creates a distinct disadvantage. I was scouting for the #2 and #3 pitchers for my all star tourney team yesterday. Both of the top pitchers I was evaluating had the bad habit of taking longer on pitch selection for their CU than FB. For one pitcher I correctly called all CU for the other I was about 9 out of 10. Fortunately with proper coaching I will be able to correct this in both pitchers.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
SoCalDad,if you want to coach them properly, have all 3 pitchers appear to adjust both pitchs in their glove and create doubt in the batter which one they will be seeing. Having them rush adjusting their grip is not the way to go.

Mar 15, 2010
SoCalDad,if you want to coach them properly, have all 3 pitchers appear to adjust both pitchs in their glove and create doubt in the batter which one they will be seeing. Having them rush adjusting their grip is not the way to go.

I think there may be some confusion. My DD is extremely good at mixing up her grip timing. Her PC has coached her correctly. The other two pitchers go to a different PC who is not effective in this area. Once I get these two pitchers on my tourney team I will ensure they are better coached on grip technique.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Tell them to brush the ear. Brush the belly button. Then touch the shoulder opposite of the ball hand. If they do that then they will follow through on their windmill.

Dana.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar