Please help with DD swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I haven't seen the vid until your post above.
My question wasn't asked with this girl in mind. So, I guess I am hijacking a thread, again.
But when I read your post, that question I asked poped into my mind.
With regards to the young girl, there is a lot wrong with it. She'll need a ton of work. But she is quite young so there is a ton of time to get-r-done. The only advice I have is take your time, have fun and don't burn her out.
Oh, and take her to a quality hitting instructor to works with younger kids. Do your due diligence with that.

I've written about this a lot in the past ... even provided golfing lessons on the topic. "How" the swing is initiated is hugely important ... what "captures" transition is huge.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RichK,
I think the post you were referring to was in "Still working on DD swing'' page 4 & 5.If you're looking for more info on ''Carve & filet'' check out Baseball Debate.com.See ''What exactly is the corner" I found this interesting.Boardmember gives alot of good info along with FFS and a few others that you will recongize on this site.

Jul 14, 2008
20hoz91.gif

You know I have a funny story........

I had an "Alhambra Water" dude show in my office to try to sell me bottled water.......

He said I looked familiar to him and asked if coached hitting........I told him I dabble in it from time to time.......:cool:

He told me he played ball with Jonny Gomes (Oakland A's) and Joey Gomes his brother, (some say Joey was better), and that he was a baseball hitting instructor at a facility that Joey bought after he stopped playing ball.

He proceeded to tell me how different the softball swing was then the baseball swing........And of course that OPENED THE FLOOD GATES!

He said the softball swing was a much "choppier" swing because of the reaction time........AND the bases being closer together???

Anyway, I took him out in back to have him show me what he taught.......And of course he threw his hands and barrel out front of his shoulders in his swing..........That opened yet ANOTHER FLOOD GATE........

When I started talking to him about deep corners.......And how the mechanics differ from front corners........He said "oh, you mean outside pitch swings vs. inside pitch swings?"

I said Nooooooooo........I mean deep corners vs. front corners.........We began talking about how the top hand works on the barrel and flattens the bat........

And HE said.......Gravity flattens the bat........

From there he got a 1 hour hitting lesson about turning the barrel into a deep corner.........

The girl above reminded me of what he said........"Gravity flattens the barrel"..........

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I wouldn't use that erratic pitching machine any more.

She is so worried about just hitting the ball that she is trying to hit terrible pitches.

The swing at 6:41 isn't that bad. . .

ETA:

You have to decided if you are working on your swing or working at hitting pitches. . .

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
FFS, I'm curious: if you cut off her upper body in that gif, and just look at her lower body (FFS, maybe you can make a new gif., or just put your hand over it : >) her lower body isn't dead by any means (yes she spins more than you'd like). But she is working hard to create some leverage to power her swing, she's just doing it wrong.

As Wellphyt said, it is a sequence issue, but even more directly I think it's about how she uses her hands to turn the barrel. Bottom hand should stay under top hand, bat is moving in wrong plane, etc. etc.

Boardmember recently wrote well about this (I forget the exact thread). I didn't get his carve/fillet at first, but I've started to like it. And I agree once you carve or work hands back, etc., the elbow slots naturally.

Wellphyt, how much focus do you put on hands vs. elbow slotting in the progression you describe? Particularly when you add a mini-bat, I believe, it helps to add "hands" cues/focus such as carve/fillet, pointing knob back to catcher on load, bat-tip, etc.

Very curious about these issues..tks.

I don't talk about elbow slotting to the kids. I focus more on how the back arm works AS it slots. I don't think anyone thinks about their elbow when they throw a ball sidearm or skip a rock. IMO if the kids can get the same basic feel with the top hand when they hit, as they do when they throw, they will do ok. If they have a little too much slop in their hand path after they master the correct back arm action, then they can do drills like the "Fence/Enforcer" drill to tighten it up.

May 16, 2010
First, sorry about the video....I know it's long....couldn't figure out how to cut some of it out...skip ahead to about 6:00 and turn down the volume so you don't have to hear me =)....obviously....I'm no good with electronics..lol...

Ok...this is my 9 year old daughter, we work really hard at home hitting but we still can't get it right...I'd love any advice you have...most of the time she strikes out but when she does hit it there's no power in it and it's normally an easy out.

need help with swing - YouTube

I just noticed that after about 8 min I'm just recording the dirt..lol...

Thanks, for watching!

She has good balance, but she does absolutely nothing with her body, to move the bat. She uses nothing but arms. She lets the barrel drop below her hands, which should never happen.

The legs turn the hips, the hips turn the shoulders, the shoulders pull the hands and the hands throw the barrel. That is the proper sequence.

I have posted this in several threads on this site, but here it is again. It shows the body movement sequence.

aj7seqc.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I bet that little girl is faster than greased lightning. I would get her a shorter bat and turn her around to the left. I would teach her to slap. That is the first thing that I thought of when I saw her swing. I thought that she was going to slap from the right.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I bet that little girl is faster than greased lightning. I would get her a shorter bat and turn her around to the left. I would teach her to slap. That is the first thing that I thought of when I saw her swing. I thought that she was going to slap from the right.

The kid wouldn't be that tough to fix and make productive. I wouldn't give up on her because of this video.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
First, sorry about the video....I know it's long....couldn't figure out how to cut some of it out...skip ahead to about 6:00 and turn down the volume so you don't have to hear me =)....obviously....I'm no good with electronics..lol...

Ok...this is my 9 year old daughter, we work really hard at home hitting but we still can't get it right...I'd love any advice you have...most of the time she strikes out but when she does hit it there's no power in it and it's normally an easy out.

need help with swing - YouTube

I just noticed that after about 8 min I'm just recording the dirt..lol...

Thanks, for watching!

Brings back a bunch of memories. My DD is a freshman in college now.
Cute girl. Whip the bat around, whip it back. My DD did that.

Upper body swing.

Simple terms, work the feet, get the lower body to lead the swing. Lower body to lead/grab the upper body from the waist up.

I posted a few videos of my DD hitting. Hope they help.

SL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah