Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I pitched both slingshot and windmill. Slingshot was utilized more with step-style pitching. Windmill definitely incorporates the lower half much more, with a much more explosive drive.

Jun 14, 2019
I had to go read through this post after watching a pitcher completely replant every pitch at 10u rec. She was leaping off landing on one foot and then pushing off the ground to pitch. Our coach brought it up and was told she was allowed to do it. I was discussing this at travel practice and our coach said they had the same issue at a 12u tournament this past weekend. The umpire told them crow hopping is now legal. Looks like there will be a lot of confusion while this gets worked out.

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah, well just use the rule that they use in college. If she plans on going to and playing for OU, it is legal. If she doesn't, then it will get called out.

(Sorry but I watched as an umpire at the WCWS was at 1st base and called illegal pitches for a pitcher leaving the ground. The same exact umpire was at 1st for Air Bahl's first start in the finals and he never once called her on it. Sorry but she did not throw one legal pitch in the WCWS but never got called for a single one. The ones with the biggest gripe should be Washington, who arguably beats Texas if they do not go back a minute after the inning ended to say Gabby Plain pitched illegally for coming off arguably 1/3 of the height that Jordy is getting on every pitch.)

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Yeah, well just use the rule that they use in college. If she plans on going to and playing for OU, it is legal. If she doesn't, then it will get called out.

(Sorry but I watched as an umpire at the WCWS was at 1st base and called illegal pitches for a pitcher leaving the ground. The same exact umpire was at 1st for Air Bahl's first start in the finals and he never once called her on it. Sorry but she did not throw one legal pitch in the WCWS but never got called for a single one. The ones with the biggest gripe should be Washington, who arguably beats Texas if they do not go back a minute after the inning ended to say Gabby Plain pitched illegally for coming off arguably 1/3 of the height that Jordy is getting on every pitch.)

My biggest gripe is that softball sanctions need to decide if they are going to call this or not and stick to it 100% of the time. You cant pick and choose when you feel like calling it. I definitely agree with you on Bahl's pitches and if Plain was all of a sudden pitching illegally they should have called it sooner in the game so it can be corrected. This is no different than basketball officials letting teams play physical all game and then all of a sudden calling ticky tack fouls in the last two minutes.

Jun 6, 2018
I concur which is what made watching the WCWS not as enjoyable as it could have been. No team was penalized more than Washington (who probably beats Texas) and there was not even a warning prior to the call. And then OU which Jordy never once dragged off the mound and yet never once was even given a warning.

I am in the camp of outlawing it as I like the WCWS and action opposed to the Olympics and 1-0, 2-1 snoozefests. Also, might be a little biased as I have a daughter who pitches collegiately and was called out and corrected at 10 years old for doing exactly what Jordy has done her whole life and refuses to correct.

Jun 9, 2021
Has the NCAA landed on this rule for future years yet or is that something they vote on in the Fall? Is this a power struggle between USA Softball and the NCAA? Will this contribute to the mound moving back? Will cats and dogs start falling out of the sky?

Jun 9, 2021
Has the NCAA landed on this rule for future years yet or is that something they vote on in the Fall? Is this a power struggle between USA Softball and the NCAA? Will this contribute to the mound moving back? Will cats and dogs start falling out of the sky?

Just to confirm is it just USA Softball and USSSA that currently allow for the pivot foot to be in the air at the same time as the drive foot? Curious where the high school rule is on this and if it is just waiting on any potential change at the NCAA level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802