Pitching replant (crow hop)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2021
As an opposing coach, I would not be concerned by this pitcher's delivery.

For future reference when playing on dirt with a right-handed pitcher they will kick dirt toward the first base creating a little divot in the pitcher circle with a dirt spray pattern towards first base (on a replant).

So if you are concerned about a replant just look in the pitcher's circle, it will tell the tale. The replant is very rare in girls' fastpitch from my experience.
Thank you!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To me, it's obvious that she is replanting her pivot foot prior to throwing even here. Am I wrong?
But that doesn't make it an illegal pitch. Here is the NCAA rule:
The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot
So, in order for it to be an illegal pitch she has to
  1. Replant
  2. Gain a second starting point and
  3. Push off her pivot foot.
The pitcher in your video does not do (2). She pushes off a little, but not enough to make it a second starting point.

The advantage from a little leaping/crow hopping is very small, if any. Most people who have been around softball for a long time don't worry about crow-hopping unless its very obvious.

If a pitcher is crow-hopping and the ump doesn't call it, the last thing a coach wants to do is give her/his players an excuse for not hitting.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Yes, it's an obvious replant. When the rear knee re-flexes and points rearward like that, it's an illegal replant 100% of the time. BUT. JUST. GIVE. UP. NOW. It will NEVER be called. You need to just resign yourself now that from this point today through the end of any of your children's softball careers, you will NEVER see a crowhop called. EVER. You might see 1 out of every 500 leaps called, and you will see a fair amount of double touches called, but you will never ever ever see a replant called. If your daughter is a pitcher, embrace it and teach her to be a skippy. You will save yourself years of frustration!!

Jul 22, 2015
Hello all,
Unfortunately, this is the only clear video (not blurry) that I got from a tournament yesterday. It also happens that this particular video is the least egregious of what I saw the pitcher doing, but alas. To me, it's obvious that she is replanting her pivot foot prior to throwing even here. Am I wrong? As I stated, this example is the only unblurry video I got and I think it happens to be one of the least obvious examples I saw, but her arm is still at the 3 o'clock position when her pivot "replants?" If this is "borderline," would anything MORE obvious be crow hopping? They tried to say it was just a leap, which sorry, that is incorrect IMO. Maybe I was watching closer because the particular pitcher is close to 6' tall in 12U and any "advantage" she would get makes it easy to be overpowering...lol

View attachment 26952
It is a leap, but not a true replant (or at least not an effective one). Look at her front foot at the time her rear foot contacts the ground. In order to actually gain something from the replant her front foot would need to still be in the air so she could push again and gain more ground. What she is doing now is hurting her far more than it helps

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Yes, it's an obvious replant. When the rear knee re-flexes and points rearward like that, it's an illegal replant 100% of the time. BUT. JUST. GIVE. UP. NOW. It will NEVER be called. You need to just resign yourself now that from this point today through the end of any of your children's softball careers, you will NEVER see a crowhop called. EVER. You might see 1 out of every 500 leaps called, and you will see a fair amount of double touches called, but you will never ever ever see a replant called. If your daughter is a pitcher, embrace it and teach her to be a skippy. You will save yourself years of frustration!!
Except it doesn't meet the definition of a crow hop in any org I have umpired in: NFHS, USA, USSSA, NSA, USFA, or NCAA

Nov 9, 2021

I actually think the back knee is just bad form on a younger pitcher. The weight seems to land on the front foot and she is almost falling forward. She is probably losing velocity with the way she is pitching rather than gaining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi