Pitching Lessons - At what point do hang it up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I require my pitching students to practice 5 days out of 7. Now, that can be about anything associated with softball for my 9 YOs - lesson, game, practice, throwing at home, doing flips, swinging a bat, etc. At the end of 30 days, if it filled out, they get a prize.

I also send them home with an assignment, like to work on their CU.

Would you keep her in piano, if she wasn't practicing at home? Good luck. She may come to love it.

May 25, 2010
I have a quick question.. My daughter is 9yrs old and started taking pitching lessons once a week when we can get in.. The problem is she loves to go to practice with her coach but during the week when she is supposed to be practicing her wrist snaps and throwing she doesn't have the drive to want to practice.. I have to tell her to practice, but she'll go days without practicing.. Should I be concerned or should I Not worry about it...
Every pitcher is different and only you (and her coach) know your pitcher.

A couple weeks before the end of the spring season, my kiddo finally 'got it' and then had 3 incredible outings to finish the year. She loved the praise that was being heaped on her by coaches, teammates, parents, etc. and once the season was over, she wanted to practice almost every day and she was steadily improving. She then went to softball camp for a week and was even more motivated for a week or so after that.

And then one day in mid-summer, she just stopped. She had no motivation whatsoever. We got to a point where it was like pulling teeth to get her to practice, so I knew then it was time to discontinue her private lessons and I stopped asking her to go play catch. For about 5-6 weeks, she might've picked up her glove about once per week. She wanted to play fall ball, though, so about 2 weeks before the start of the season, she began practicing again. She didn't have as much time for it as she did in early summer, but was going out to practice because that's what she wanted to do. Having had a good fall, as things are winding down, she's been spending extra time in the cage, occasionally on her own, because she knows it's all ending soon.

I know how motivated she is to be successful, but her willingness to put in the work will ebb and flow as time passes and the same is true for most kids, even those who have enjoyed a lot of early success. There are going to be those days, weeks, or even months when the flame just won't be burning quite as bright as you'd like, so when that happens, don't even hesitate to put the private lessons on hold. She's only one athlete, but my kid has improved rapidly this fall training without a coach, so we're not even considering sending her back to the academy until January, at the earliest.

Thanks for the advice.. My daughter played some fall ball this year for the first time ever. When the season started she could't throw well and couldn't catch much.. When it was all said and done she went 4-4 hitting and caught a couple of line drives along with throwing numerous runners out at first.. Her coach couldn't believe how much she improved from the start of the season. She has a real good glove and hits well.. She absolutely loved playing and never wanted to leave practice at the normal time.. Often we stayed with a few girls and coach after practice for some hitting and drills.. I am debating on letting her play rec ball this coming year but have an offer from a friend to play on a select team.. On the select team she would probably be playing outfield since she is not real experienced with the game..she liked to play second base a few times she was able to but doesn't know exactly how to move depending on which way the ball is hit.. All I know is she WANTS THE BALL..

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is a great game and a lot of fun. It sounds like she wants to play select.

Not every kid is meant to be a pitcher. If your DD is the "life of the party", then she is probably a catcher and not a pitcher. Honestly, from a pure "fun" standpoint--being the best hitter on the team, batting 1st, and playing SS is much better than being the best pitcher.

You need to consider how hard you have to push her to get started and what she does after she gets started. I would have to push my DD to get her started, but once she got going, she really worked at it.

It helps to make sure the practice is a Daddy-Daughter activity that you and she both enjoy (I hate to use the word "fun", because it isn't supposed to be a 100% giggle-fest.)

She absolutely loves to do grounding and flyball drills now that she can catch lol, but anytime she asks to practice I never hesitate to go throw with her.. I normally leave the batting up to her coach being she goes weekly which she enjoys.. I see so many parents that are way to rough on their kids that I swore I'd never be like that.. When I'm at the ball park I'll usually get up and show her some love no matter what she does right r wrong.. I absolutely like nothing more than to watch her smiling and having FUN.. When she strikes out r makes a mistake she looks at me for approval and all I do is smile.. I'll head to the dugout and tell her don't worry about the mistake just play ball and have fun..

May 25, 2010
I'll head to the dugout and tell her...

I know I'm going off-topic, but once your daughter reports for pre-game warm-ups and she has all her gear and her water bottle, back away. Parents don't belong at the dugouts during the game, unless there's an injury to attend to. Many parents think it's their right to do so and feel they should be offering moral support, but even when her team is up to bat, an athlete's focus needs to be on the game.

Other than that, sounds like you're doing great. :)

ps - Oh, and most kids hate ground ball drills, so sounds like you've got a real ball player there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1