Who catches pitching lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
When my dd was 9, the facility had home plates that have a lip. I took one right in the temple. Ohhhh Mama. It hurt at 40. I can't imagine what 50+ would feel like. I've since gone to a mask and I still need to work on not turning my head.

May 27, 2013
When my dd was 9, the facility had home plates that have a lip. I took one right in the temple. Ohhhh Mama. It hurt at 40. I can't imagine what 50+ would feel like. I've since gone to a mask and I still need to work on not turning my head.
DD’s first PC required ALL catchers to wear masks. If you didn’t have one she had extras she’d give you. Definitely a liability issue.

Once I fractured my eye socket about 10 years ago on a ball that took a bad hop (on a dirt field playing SS) I couldn’t imagine catching without wearing a mask, nevermind also trying to focus on what the pitcher was doing. It only took that one incident to change how I felt about a few things softball-related!

ETA: Biggest lesson learned - don’t think it can’t happen to you, no matter how good you think you are.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022

This happened to me back in the fall, on a t-ball field. It was basically unburied. My daughter only throws 45-47 most of the time. It hit me in the upper part of my ear, which cushioned the cranial impact a little, and that's probably all that saved me from a concussion. My head was definitely not 100% though.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
I catch for my daughter. Shin guards and occasionally a fielder's mask. I haven't gotten around to getting gear, but I probably should. I always say I'm a terrible catcher anyway, but my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be. I worked to get them back last year by bouncing a tennis ball against the basement wall from really close up. Bare-handed catching it, then a glove. It helped but I'm probably back to where I was at this point.

When she threw a lot slower, and I was catching from a chair (or bosu ball), I picked up a bad habit of reaching out for the high and outside stuff with my bare hand. It's hard to pop up out of a chair. It's been hard to break that habit and it's caused my first instinct to be to reach out like that, even on harder pitches. I catch myself doing it again now with the 5th grader I'm working with.

I do catch other pitchers I work with as well, but they all throw 35 or less. It's hard to see much from the catching position if the throws are any faster. I basically have time to watch one thing only, which doesn't do me a lot of good. If I get into teaching more down the road, I'll have the parent catch, or hire out one of the school catchers for 10/hr or something.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Thanks for all the insights. I mark all my pitching balls with a segmented stripe so I can see rotation and get a sense of spin axis and rate better. My students tend to be on the younger side so I do have to watch their arms, legs, angles, etc. quite a bit. But I think I will try spending a little more time on the bucket as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut