Pitching instruction.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2010
I need some help finding a pitching instructor for my beginning 10u player.I'm in the Tempe,Arizona area.Looking for a female instructor who can take a beginner and progress her up properly.We are new to the fast pitch world and have no contacts or legitimate starting points.Thanks in advance

May 7, 2009
So the problem with lists seems to be who teaches IR. Im in St. Louis and have been to quite a few pitching instructors
and for example the last one had quite a few states..pitched and coached in college level. We went for a free analysis and my DD starting warming up......arm back towards second palm up just to warm up one of the IR drills. She hopped up and said WHO told you to warm up like that your going to hurt your shoulder. She then proceeded to explain that after the 12 oclock position the ball needs to face second. So long story short I think she was abit insulted when I said it seemed alot of the elite pitchers seem to use an Internal Rotation. So....is there a list...or knowledge of instructors that teach IR? I wont even bring up slamming the door. Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
I think you may be putting too much emphasis on IR.

While I agree that there are good PC's and bad PC's, I approach my daughters pitching the same way I approached learning martial arts when I was younger: Find a teacher, learn all that teacher has to teach, and then find another teacher. After a few years, take what works for you (the student) from each teacher and with an understanding of WHY and HOW different approaches achieve different results, put together your (the students) own style.

I'd love to have a Bill Hillhouse local that my daughter could go to once a week. I, personally, agree with how he teaches and what he teaches. There are also other instructors I agree with and would love to have teach my daughter. Unfortunately, I've not found any in my area (south SF bay area) that teach in this particular style.

What I have found is a PC that has a long history of teaching pitchers, was a D1 pitcher herself and has a few students earn D1 scholarships every year, and my daughter gets along with wonderfully. I don't agree with everything she teaches. However, I have told my daughter, and I practice the same, to "have an open mind, learn what this instructor has to teach you and do it HER way. Once you feel that you've mastered what she has to teach, we'll move on and you can take what you learned from videos and the other 4 instructors and put together your own way of doing things".

My daughter has s made great progress and many of her flaws have been either corrected or improved upon. Her speed and control have improved, even though the new PC performed a complete "reset" and basically restarted from scratch when we started seeing her 3 months ago. My daughter enjoys discussing the differences in what she does now vs what she used to do, and the merits and pitfalls of different methods (similar situation with her batting coach), and I'm happy that she is happy. Her new instructor makes sure to explain why she teaches what she teaches, and again, it may not be everything that I "learned on the internet", but my daughter understands and is making mental notes.

My suggestion is to find a PC that your daughter gets along with, and that has an open mind, and go from there. For most pitchers and many PC's, IR "just happens", and they don't even know what it means or what it stands for.

-W

Sep 11, 2009
Im in St. Louis and have been to quite a few pitching instructors

The best pitching instruction in the St. Louis area is not in St. Louis. It's in Columbia, MO. Doug Gillis is the pitching coach for Mizzou and has for the last 2 years been giving monthly lessons in Columbia even though he's based in Michigan. More information about the clinics / lessons can be found on the Mizzou softball website. We have been taking our daughter to Doug and her progress in outstanding.

Jul 14, 2008
Or.........Take some video of your PC throwing few pitches..........See if I/R is natrually present........If it is........Show it to him/her in slo-mo and say "I want you to teach me that"........If he or she gives you excuses as to why they can't/won't teach you "that".........Or has no clue explaining to you how they do "that".........Keep looking..........

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think you may be putting too much emphasis on IR.

For most pitchers and many PC's, IR "just happens", and they don't even know what it means or what it stands for.

-W

I've coached in my state for 6 years with a good amount of success. I would say that as many as 75% of young pitchers trying to learn fail because of a lack of understanding of this important body mechanic and a different mechanic being introduced or reinforced. I do not believe for most pitchers IR just happens, just the pitchers that have some success. The natural tendency is actually to bowl the ball like a modified underhand slow pitch toss. Just watch any dad trying to throw BP for the first time and you'll see this. Whether the term IR is used or not doesn't matter. It happens to be one good simple way to explain what happens. If a dad or PC or Rec Coach can get a kid started with this mechanic (if it is lacking) God bless 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA