Pitching instruction.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have seen an entire long thread on IR but I don't recall seeing a sequence of pictures that might be easier to understand then the written description. Is there a photo essay anywhere?

Looking at a picture of my DD at 12 o'clock (which seems to be a reference point), the ball is neither pointed at second or at 1st (lefty) but it seems to be more pointed somewhere half way home on the 1st base side.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks. I looked at a few youtube videos and posts on this forum that referenced this phrase. It seems to be an acronym for throwing the ball, both pitching and fielding. I know this is a simplification but it seems to mean, let your body do what it wants. Do not manipulate it into an unnatural position.

Stupid question 2: Is there another camp that thinks that there is a better way to throw the ball other then “IR”? If so, do you know what it is called so I can look at that too.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2009
There is no other way, IMO. , just degrees of it, depending on flexibility (and later, the type of movement pitch you are throwing). I see the natural IR (if I understand it right, you are talking about pronating or twisting of the arm in some fashion) in many young students without telling them. They watch each other, their older sisters, college games or TV these days.

The bowling usually comes in at the end when they close their hips at release.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I have seen an entire long thread on IR but I don't recall seeing a sequence of pictures that might be easier to understand then the written description. Is there a photo essay anywhere?
Here is a sequence that i believe will help
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRBWoloSgg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRBWoloSgg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

May 7, 2009
quincy,

The other method Ive seen is what has been tagged as the "Step Method". Not sure thats official but thats what its referred to. There is no leap and drag in that its an older method (pre leap and drag) it emphasizes a step not a leap
and states there is more control and spin on the ball. It too states at 9 oclock the ball should be facing second and
you hand arm stays in that position through release with wrist snap. My DD took these lessens and was successful
with it...but as she got close to high school it seemed it would limit speed and rotation so I started looking elsewhere. The
last part of it was the hips where to as they say "slam the door". The harder you closed your hips the more it helped push
the ball home. These terms were said in the instructions. And again....these were accomplished pitchers.

Sep 3, 2009
Here is a sequence that i believe will help
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRBWoloSgg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRBWoloSgg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
lhowser...this is great. Thanks for posting it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is another clip that might be helpful in understanding IR. Look carefully at the rotation of Monica Abbott's forearm during the pitch. In the first throw, you can see the hand "casually" flip over. In the second throw, Abbott is forcing a little extra "oomph" on the IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA